• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Advantages Of Chairs In Gurudwara's!

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
What I propose is a sensible debate on this issue. I have never agreed with the banning of chairs in Gurudwara's. It is just plain ridiculous.

My thinking is if we had chairs (fixed in rows) in the Darbar Hall with the Guru Granth Sahib ji raised t a higher level the advantages would be:

1) People's feet would point downwards and not towards Bir.
2) Would be more comfortable and people will be less likely to figit and disturb the proceedings.
3) Will control numbers seated in a hall from a health and safety point of view and fireregulations.
4) Would help disabled and elderly people.
5) Would ensure everyone is facing the stage where SGGS ji is.
6) Stop people congregating in little groups and talking. More difficult when person you want to talk to is two people away in a row.
7) People less likely to leave Darbaar Hall and listen to paath. To get up would mean disturbing people in row.

Disadvantages

1) People may use them as weapons when fights break out at Gurudwara's
laugh.gif

2) Expensive to put in chairs and of adequate comfort.

lol agreed with both pros and cons. id prefer large benches rather than chairs there harder to lift and throw around.

just an aside question:

do you really think it matters which way your feet point? or how high the granth sahib is relative to its sorroudings?

in that case we should launch all our holy texts into high earth orbit just to be safe.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Our people are idiots! That video confirms why we cannot be part of civilised society.

It also proves that some of our guys still have the ******* to fight albeit for rubbish reasons....given direction such people would be a force to be reckoned with....lol

Randip. The average football hooligan episode in England (which is far worse than anything in the video) doesn't result in English people saying "we are uncivilised"

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
LOL!

I just saw that video! priceless

wouldve been nice with audio someone yelling: "FOR SPARTAAAA!"
just before flinging the chair.
You could always do that. Find the audio clip and slow down the part witht he chair to fir the "for sparta" in.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Gurdwara Seremban has cushions for the elderly placed in the fore front on the side. Also many gurdwaras in Malaysia have similar seatings.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: