Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sign Up Now!

Access 2000 - Multi-Paged Form Problem

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by Cascot, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. Cascot

    Cascot
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    I have an application originally designed in Access 97 which I recently
    converted to Access 2000. Some forms have two pages using a pagebreak.
    Everything worked as expected in Access 97, however since converting to
    2000 there now seems to be a problem related to the use of
    [ObjectName].SetFocus

    On clicking the Update button I carry out validation to ensure certain
    fields contains values. if they do not I display a messagebox, set the
    focus to the appropriate object then exit the sub procedure. Within
    Access 2000 it now seems that, even though I am solidly on (say) page 2
    (as are the objects I am validating) setting the focus to any of these
    objects now messes up the pages. I end up with page 2 covering only the
    bottom 25% of the screen with the other 75% taken up by the lower
    sections of page 1.

    I can get around the problem by ensuring that before exiting any code
    within which an [ObjectName].SetFocus has been executed, I do a
    Me.GoToPage 2 (say). The problem is that it requires many such
    instances where nothing was required under Access 97 and it causes the
    form to flicker slightly (using DoCmd.Echo False/True doesn't help)

    Has anyone come across this problem before? Any suggestions anyone?
     
  2. Loading...


  3. Larry Linson

    Larry Linson
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    I haven't experienced the problem, but have found it better to avoid
    multi-paged forms because, even when they are "on their best behavior", they
    can be confusing to users. I try to figure a different approach to whatever
    problem was being "solved" by multi-page forms that doesn't have the quirks
    and drawbacks.

    One approach that my users have found more intuitive is to have a Tab
    Control that allows switching from Page to Page. Sometimes it is convenient
    to use Subform Controls on the Pages, with Forms embedded that correspond to
    the Pages on a multi-paged Form.

    As to your current problem, check the About Box in Help to ensure that you
    have all three Service Packs for Access 2000 installed. I would personally
    prefer using Access 2002 or 2003, each with all its Service Packs installed,
    but am not sure that would actually solve the problem you describe.

    Larry Linson
    Microsoft Access MVP


    "Cascot" <scotscanadian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:1132195814.176753.19620@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    >I have an application originally designed in Access 97 which I recently
    > converted to Access 2000. Some forms have two pages using a pagebreak.
    > Everything worked as expected in Access 97, however since converting to
    > 2000 there now seems to be a problem related to the use of
    > [ObjectName].SetFocus
    >
    > On clicking the Update button I carry out validation to ensure certain
    > fields contains values. if they do not I display a messagebox, set the
    > focus to the appropriate object then exit the sub procedure. Within
    > Access 2000 it now seems that, even though I am solidly on (say) page 2
    > (as are the objects I am validating) setting the focus to any of these
    > objects now messes up the pages. I end up with page 2 covering only the
    > bottom 25% of the screen with the other 75% taken up by the lower
    > sections of page 1.
    >
    > I can get around the problem by ensuring that before exiting any code
    > within which an [ObjectName].SetFocus has been executed, I do a
    > Me.GoToPage 2 (say). The problem is that it requires many such
    > instances where nothing was required under Access 97 and it causes the
    > form to flicker slightly (using DoCmd.Echo False/True doesn't help)
    >
    > Has anyone come across this problem before? Any suggestions anyone?
    >
     
  4. Cascot

    Cascot
    Expand Collapse
    Guest

    Thanks for your reply Larry.

    I do have all the service packs installed, so it would seem to be yet
    another unsolved bug in Access 2000 where any use of
    [ObjectName].SetFocus on a form containing Page Breaks will mess things
    up and leave you part way between one page and the other.

    Ultimately I had to find another solution and decided to maintain the
    current layout (so no change from the users perspective), but when the
    page navigation buttons are clicked, rather than moving to the
    appropriate page as defined by the Page Break I now have only one
    "page" and simply control the visible property of the "Page 1" and
    "Page 2" objects.

    It seems to work well.
     

Share This Page