• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhi About The Average Sikh

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
They say that the average American does not know the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim. They tell me the average American associates a turban and a beard with ISIS, Taliban or Bin Laden. That's okay because the average Sikh does not have "fear" in their vocabulary.

sikh.jpg

We are not the victims of mistaken identity; we are in fact doing exactly what our identity was supposed to do. It was supposed to absorb hate and ignorance so others would not have to. See, you mistake us for something we are not, however, you do not know exactly who we are. Our heritage teaches us tolerance, to love the enemy and to protect even those we do not agree with. These seemingly progressive values -- of equality, freedom of religion, justice for all that you thought were American -- are actually something Sikhs have been living, and dying, for centuries over. Our history is full of examples of how Sikhs protected others before themselves, put humanity first and their own life last. We are taught from a very young age that our identity comes with responsibility; it will come with its own set of challenges, and we are in fact ready for anything and more your hate can dish out.

We have learned through our forefathers that hate does not last, and love and truth eventually overcome. You may feel big by attacking us, but with each blow you only strengthen our resolve. You have bullied our children in schools, attacked our places of worship all in your skewed misinformed and small view of the world. Yes, we look different but we are not foreign to this type of treatment. Everywhere a Sikh goes they know they stand out, they know their identity comes before all else that is presented about them, and even in the face of extreme intolerance they are willing to not reciprocate the hate but shower love instead.

You think if you intimidate us we will go running "back to our country" as you heckle commonly, however, we will not go back, but only dig our heals stronger to prove that not only are we not afraid but we have the resolve to overcome your anger. Our religion provides us the guidance in knowing there is no other, there is no difference, there is no better, there is only divine light which shines in all.

A Sikh's strength lies in their identity -- it goes hand in hand with their existence. You might use images of the media to shape your worldview through the bias lens, but we use spiritual power to shape our resolve. A Sikh will stay steadfast in a storm because we know the real battle does not rage externally rather internally is where the conquest really counts.

My hope is of a better America, where tolerance is not just a word that is thrown around, but actually practiced by every individual. Where diversity is not seen as a weakness but our core strength and what makes this nation great. Till then you will never see us hiding, the 'Average Sikh' will be out there with our turbans and beards easy to spot and ready for any challenge that may be presented.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/harmeet-matta/about-the-average-sikh_b_8813242.html

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
An excellent article with many good points. I have a few good points, too. At least, I hope they're good...

They say that the average American does not know the difference between a Sikh and a Muslim. They tell me the average American associates a turban and a beard with ISIS, Taliban or Bin Laden. That's okay because the average Sikh does not have "fear" in their vocabulary.

Two points. First there is no such thing as an average Sikh. Nothing about a Sikh is average. We have chosen to be a group unlike any other. We set ourselves apart as a group with two primary purposes: to aid humanity and to spiritually evolve as individuals. At the same time, we are neither exclusive nor elitist. Anyone who chooses is free to join us. The second thing is, who are these 'they' anyway? And why should I pay any attention to them?

I am a woman who presently chooses to cover her kesh (unshorn hair) with a scarf or chunni. (I am learning to tie a turban, but since I have only one usable hand, that is a long and laborious procedure.) I am often - usually - taken as a Muslim with a poorly donned hijab, even by Muslims and Sikhs. I wave my kara in the face of the Sikhs and they catch on pretty quickly. I have had Muslims advise me on the correct way to wear a hijab, and that gives me the opportunity to educate them about Sikhi a bit. They are usually impressed and appreciative that I am willing to accept the consequences of being Muslim even though I'm not and are always very gracious.

Then there are the Islamolphobes. They are not difficult to spot. They come in two different varieties: the hostile and the pitying. With these, I face a choice: Do I tell them I'm a Sikh, not a Muslim and thus educate them or do I not? The problem is that telling them I'm not Muslim plays into their illness, so I usually pass up the educational opportunity and let them think what they will. For the hostile type, I usually confront them, "Do you think there's something wrong with being Muslim?" They almost always back down. If they come back with something like, "You're all a bunch of terrorists and should go back to your own country!" I tell them the truth. "My ancestors came to this country from Ireland in 1650 before it was even a country." If they insist on the terrorist angle, I capitulate (sort of), "If you think I'm a terrorist, you should know it's a very bad idea to antagonize me." They always back off. Always. When introducing myself, for example on Facebook, I usually tell people "I'm a Sikh warrior Princess with the blood of Druids and Unrepentant Fenian {censored}s coursing through my veins. You seriously want me on your side."

The pitying ones totally disgust me. "I feel so sorry for you being forced to follow your husband's orders." This may be in words or just unspoken with a look. My response is, "Lady, there's not a man on this planet that can force me to do anything I don't want to do." That always shuts them up quickly. I guess an assertive Muslim woman is completely outside of their narrow little box.

A bit of irony. EVERY Muslim woman I know who hijabs does it on her own wishes. Very often her husband opposes her because he knows it exposes her to danger. So much for the oppressed hijabi. (Not to say that some Muslim women aren't oppressed, but that's a different topic.)

I think I choose the proper course here. When given the choice between fighting for the oppressed or educating people about Sikhi, I choose to fight for the oppressed. I am not being trying to be noble. I'm just being a Sikh.

I could say much more, but this is enough for now.

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
WGKK-WGKF

The clue is in the Turban every Turban wearing muslim wears a different style of Turban to anything I have seen a Sikh wear and a muslim wearing aTurban always has a tail down his back with his Turban

:singhfacepalm:

Joginder Singh Foley

Writer
SPNer
Jan 26, 2008
Stoke On Trent
WGKK-WGKF

Its down to education, education, education along with the incompetent lazy mainstream media Sikhs are not muslim and most people wearing a Turban are not muslim, And Sikhs have readily identifiable differences from muslims. But there again if the UK/US/EU/NATO and their banker/corporate masters kept their imperial delusions out of the arab-islamic world relationships between the different peoples might be a lot better. Its not rocket science after all
:singhfacepalm:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: