• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Controversial Abducted Sikh Returns Home Without Converting To Islam

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Abducted Sikh returns home without converting to Islam

ISLAMABAD: Yet another Pakistani belonging to the Sikh community, who was kidnapped by the Taliban from Peshawar, the capital of the north-west frontier province, has returned home safely, defying his captors’ demand to convert to Islam.

The 33-year-old Sikh information technology professional, Robin Singh, was kidnapped on February 11 by three armed men, when he came out of his office at University Town, Peshawar.

“I was blindfolded on Ring Road and driven for over an hour before being shifted to a basement and shackled. The cell had neither a light nor a toilet. They did not torture me, except when I was snatched,” Robin recalled.

“I don’t know who the captors were, but they had insisted I should change my religion. They criticized me for keeping long hair and beard, but I refused to convert to Islam, referring to the religion itself, which does not force anyone to change his/her religion,” claimed Robin, who was greeted by hundreds of relatives and well-wishers at the house of a cousin in Peshawar’s Gulgasht colony.

He said he was unaware why he was released without fulfilling their demands. “They told me to get prepared as they were going to shoot me. However, they later they dropped me on Ring Road in Peshawar. I am still in shock and mental stress after my captivity,” he said.

Elder brother Rajin Singh, a civil engineer, denied payment of ransom for his release. However, family sources said Rajin had received calls from the captors, who had directed him to arrange

Attachments

• sikhs_in_pakistan_kidnapped.jpg
    sikhs_in_pakistan_kidnapped.jpg
    11.6 KB · Reads: 757
Last edited by a moderator:

ac_marshall

SPNer
Nov 5, 2009
Bangalore, India
This abduction appears to have taken place for RANSOM under the guise of religion. Looks like the kidnappers tried to imitate Taliban. I pray that it doesn't become a preferred profession in Peshawar. If they were against Robin Singhji having long hair and beard why do they follow Osama Bin Laden, Mullah Omar, etc who also grow long hair (may not be totally unshorn) and long beard?:down:
Hypocrites of the first order!

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Whatever their reasons for kidnapping him, we can be happy that on this Vaisakhi Robin Singh, shorn but with his head still attached to his body is home with the Saadh Sangat. Here is a picture I came across.

And I agree it is troubling. I have read that in some countries people actually consider kidnapping for ransom an occupation. I don't know if it's true, though.

Attachments

• Robin Singh.jpg
    Robin Singh.jpg
    30.6 KB · Reads: 238

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: