• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India A Renaissance In Punjabi Cinema

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
A Renaissance in Punjabi Cinema

by ALKESH SHARMA

Punjabi cinema is finally coming into its own with bigger budgets and larger audiences, says noted Punjabi filmmaker Manmohan Singh. But he feels the industry is still in the stage of infancy and has a long way to go to widen its reach.

"We can call this the renaissance period of Punjabi cinema. Everything is getting rejuvenated here. People have also started taking Punjabi cinema more seriously," said Manmohan Singh.

The films have become more cosmopolitan in their approach as they are also catering to the demands of the Punjabi diaspora.

Manmohan Singh is credited with turning the fortunes of Punjabi cinema by churning out five big hits - Jee Aayan Nu, Asaa(n) Nu Maan Watna Da, Yaaran Naal Baharaan, Dil Apna Punjabi and Mitti Waajan Mardi in the last five years.

His next project, Mera Pind - My Home is slated to release in mid September and it stars Harbhajan Singh Mann and former cricketer-anchor Navjot Singh Sidhu.

"Earlier Bollywood stars did Punjabi movies in their free time or just as a pastime. But today we have talented actors like Harbhajan Singh Mann, who have made Punjabi movies their priority and are working hard to the support the industry," said Manmohan.

"Earlier, when we used to travel abroad by air there were options of seeing Bollywood, Hollywood and South Indian movies in the aircraft. But now you can easily find Punjabi movies in the list also. When we go abroad, people enthusiastically ask us about the forthcoming Punjabi movies," he said.

Harbhajan agrees with Manmohan. "I consider this the golden phase of Punjabi movies. The budget has also soared from a few hundred thousand to tens of millions and filmmakers are using the best techniques available.

"Today we are releasing Punjabi movies in five-six countries other than India. But our aim is to increase its spectrum by releasing them in 40-50 countries in the coming days."

Harbhajan teamed up with Manmohan in 2000 to revive the ailing Punjabi film industry. He has given four Punjabi blockbusters with Manmohan and is waiting for their next venture, Mera Pind.
Manmohan Singh said it hurts when other filmmakers lampoon Sikhs in their movies.

"We wanted to break this myth and portray the essence of true Sikhism that has proved its mettle all over the world," he said.

Navjot Singh Sidhu, who makes his debut in Punjabi films with Mera Pind, said: "Movies like Singh is Kinng where the main protagonist is a Sikh guy will certainly boost their image on the big screen. Now it is the time of Punjabis and Punjabi cinema to rule this world."

[Courtesy: Hindustan Times]

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
What are the views of people here Which is worst Punjabi cinema or Hindi cinema for sikhs.If you ask me then I will say Punjabi films are much worse for sikhs than Hindi

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
What are the views of people here Which is worst Punjabi cinema or Hindi cinema for sikhs.If you ask me then I will say Punjabi films are much worse for sikhs than Hindi

Punjabi films should be renamed Jatt Films, as no one outside the Jatt community seems to exist in these films.

How about having a Punjabi film about a Sikh business man, or maybe a Sikh tanner, or Sikh Carpenter.

Even better a Sikh Tanner who gets married to a Sikh farmer. :)

As for Harbhajan Mann, I just find him really annoying. Sillly Jackass!swordfight

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: