Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

A New Breed of Politician: Jagmeet Singh

Discussion in 'Sikh Youth' started by Admin Singh, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Admin Singh

Admin Singh
    Expand Collapse
    Admin SPNer

Jun 1, 2004
    Jagmeet Singh

by T. SHER SINGH

Last night's election in Ontario, Canada, saw the arrival of Jagmeet Singh as the new Member of Provincial Parliament from the Bramalea-Gore-Malton riding, bearing the flag of the New Democratic Party.

A Mississauga resident, Jagmeet Singh, 32, graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School and practices criminal law in the Greater Toronto Area.

The late Canadian political leader, Jack Layton, once described Jagmeet as "one of the most dynamic voices in the community".

Before turning into a criminal defence lawyer and a community advocate, Jagmeet completed his B.Sc. in Biology from the University of Western Ontario. He then earned an LL.B. from Osgoode Hall Law School and currently practices law. He is fluent in three languages - English, French and Punjabi.

"As a defender of fairness," explains a blog, "Jagmeet offers free legal rights seminars across Ontario and provides pro bono legal counsel for people and community organizations in need."

Good grounding for one who wants to serve his nation in the field of politics! And a marked departure from those who bring only one qualification to the job: a hunger for power, fame and the quick buck.

Toronto Verve, a popular fashion blog, once described him as follows:

"Jagmeet looks fantastic wearing his custom-made suit ... He immediately caught my attention when I saw him briskly riding down Bloor and was gracious to show me the amazing craftsmanship of his suit. I was particularly impressed with the red embroidery of his signature in Punjabi on the inside of his jacket ...

" ... since he's riding a Bixi bike in busy downtown traffic, it's safe to assume his position on the environment."

It is indeed time that our politicians - including those of the Sikh ilk - moved up a few notches to provide proper representation to the citizenry.

Indeed, Jagmeet Singh comes with a breath of fresh air.

And a lot of promise.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Loading...