• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus A Misconception

Dear All,

I would like to bring into your consideration a misconception.

Many of our hindu brothers falsely believe that many times sikh gurus & others whose banis are there in granth sahib have recited the name Ram and this ram they believe is the lord ram of ayodhya. Perhaps thats not the case.

Sikh gurus never prayed to any demigods like brahman, vishnu, mahesh. They always believed in that supreme being & always chanted his praises.

In the words of Kabeer in Granth sahib Its clear that the Name "Raam" on which he meditates represents the almighty God and not the king of Ayodhya (Lord Raam)

कबीर राम कहन महि भेदु है ता महि एकु बिचारु ॥
Kabeer, it does make a difference, how you chant the Lord's Name, 'Raam'. This is something to consider.
सोई रामु सभै कहहि सोई कउतकहार ॥१९०॥
Everyone uses the same word for the son of Dasrath and the Wondrous Lord. ||190||
कबीर रामै राम कहु कहिबे माहि बिबेक ॥
Kabeer, use the word 'Raam', only to speak of the All-pervading Lord. You must make that distinction.
एकु अनेकहि मिलि गइआ एक समाना एक ॥१९१॥ One 'Raam' is pervading everywhere (The nirankaar present throughout the universe), while the other (lord ram) is contained only in himself

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Dear All,

Many of our hindu brothers falsely believe that many times sikh gurus & others whose banis are there in granth sahib have recited the name Ram and this ram they believe is the lord ram of ayodhya. Perhaps thats not the case.

Sikh gurus never prayed to any demigods like brahman, vishnu, mahesh. They always believed in that supreme being & always chanted his praises.

In the words of Kabeer in Granth sahib Its clear that the Name "Raam" on which he meditates represents the almighty God and not the king of Ayodhya (Lord Raam)

Kabeer, it does make a difference, how you chant the Lord's Name, 'Raam'. This is something to consider.
Everyone uses the same word for the son of Dasrath and the Wondrous Lord. ||190||
Kabeer, use the word 'Raam', only to speak of the All-pervading Lord. You must make that distinction.
एकु अनेकहि मिलि गइआ एक समाना एक ॥१९१॥ One 'Raam' is pervading everywhere (The nirankaar present throughout the universe), while the other (lord ram) is contained only in himself

I have heard the suggestion from Muslims too that the Guru's are Muslim from the amount of times Allah is mentioned.

Canuck Singh

SPNer
Jun 13, 2008
Can UK
And having realised that the One is True, no matter what the Name, having realised that this allusion, this world that conditions us to mindless thinking, assimilates our thoughts and minds, that extreme ideas and such are of no use to the awakened mind, that is the Truth that the Divine pervades all and only through understanding that Naam is the connection to the one shall we realise the 1.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
And having realised that the One is True, no matter what the Name, having realised that this allusion, this world that conditions us to mindless thinking, assimilates our thoughts and minds, that extreme ideas and such are of no use to the awakened mind, that is the Truth that the Divine pervades all and only through understanding that Naam is the connection to the one shall we realise the 1.

A home owner whose furnace broke down during a bitter cold snap called a repairman. The repairman came at once. Within half an hour the furnace was working again. The repairman then gave the homeowner a bill of $200.

"What!" the outraged homeowner exclaimed. "It took you no time at all. All you did was replace one small spare part".

The repairman said, "$2 dollars for the small spare part and $198 is for knowing what was wrong and how to fix it".

Your inner consciousness is the master mechanic, the all wise one. It knows the ways and means of healing any organ in your body. Decree health, and your subconscious mind will establish it, but relaxation is the key. Easy does it.

Do not let yourself get bogged down about details and means. Know what the end result would be. Get the feeling of the happy solution to your problem.

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ
सलोक मः ३ ॥
Salok mėhlā 3.
Shalok, Third Mehl:

ਵੇਸ ਕਰੇ ਕੁਰੂਪਿ ਕੁਲਖਣੀ ਮਨਿ ਖੋਟੈ ਕੂੜਿਆਰਿ
वेस करे कुरूपि कुलखणी मनि खोटै कूड़िआरि ॥
ves kare kurūp kulkẖaṇī man kẖotai kūṛi▫ār.
She may wear good clothes, but the bride is ugly and rude; her mind is false and impure.

ਪਿਰ ਕੈ ਭਾਣੈ ਨਾ ਚਲੈ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਗਾਵਾਰਿ
पिर कै भाणै ना चलै हुकमु करे गावारि ॥
Pir kai bẖāṇai nā cẖalai hukam kare gāvār.
She does not walk in harmony with the Will of her Husband Lord. Instead, she foolishly gives Him orders.

ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਭਾਣੈ ਜੋ ਚਲੈ ਸਭਿ ਦੁਖ ਨਿਵਾਰਣਹਾਰਿ
गुर कै भाणै जो चलै सभि दुख निवारणहारि ॥
Gur kai bẖāṇai jo cẖalai sabẖ ḏukẖ nivāraṇhār.
But she who walks in harmony with the Guru's Will, shall be spared all pain and suffering.

ਲਿਖਿਆ ਮੇਟਿ ਸਕੀਐ ਜੋ ਧੁਰਿ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਕਰਤਾਰਿ
लिखिआ मेटि न सकीऐ जो धुरि लिखिआ करतारि ॥
Likẖi▫ā met na sakī▫ai jo ḏẖur likẖi▫ā karṯār.
That destiny which was pre-ordained by the Creator cannot be erased.

ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਸਉਪੇ ਕੰਤ ਕਉ ਸਬਦੇ ਧਰੇ ਪਿਆਰੁ
मनु तनु सउपे कंत कउ सबदे धरे पिआरु ॥
Man ṯan sa▫upe kanṯ ka▫o sabḏe ḏẖare pi▫ār.
She must dedicate her mind and body to her Husband Lord, and enshrine love for the Word of the Shabad.

ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਕਿਨੈ ਪਾਇਆ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਰਿਦੈ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ
बिनु नावै किनै न पाइआ देखहु रिदै बीचारि ॥
Bin nāvai kinai na pā▫i▫ā ḏekẖhu riḏai bīcẖār.
Without His Name, no one has found Him; see this and reflect upon it in your heart.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾ ਸੁਆਲਿਓ ਸੁਲਖਣੀ ਜਿ ਰਾਵੀ ਸਿਰਜਨਹਾਰਿ ॥੧॥
नानक सा सुआलिओ सुलखणी जि रावी सिरजनहारि ॥१॥
Nānak sā su▫āli▫o sulakẖ▫ṇī jė rāvī sirjanhār. ||1||
O Nanak, she is beautiful and graceful; the Creator Lord ravishes and enjoys her. ||1||

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I really like the direction taken by participants in this thread. At time it is deep with thought and contemplative, and at other times it speaks of musings of people who live simple lives in a serious way. There is a mood of relaxation and ease, good Gurbani, and tidbits of knowledge here and there. Thanks for a good read every day. :)

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Dear All,

Thanks Rabjot ji for clarifying things. I also ,sometimes, felt the same way when I started understanding Bani.

• O Nanak, the Lord is fearless and formless; myriads of others, like Rama, are mere dust before Him.
  • There are so many stories of Krishna, so many who reflect over the Vedas.
  • So many beggars dance, spinning around to the beat.
  • The magicians perform their magic in the market place, creating a false illusion.
  • They sing as kings and queens, and speak of this and that.
  • They wear earrings, and necklaces worth thousands of dollars.
  • Those bodies on which they are worn, O Nanak, those bodies turn to ashes.[ang 467]
Thanks once again.
Hope I am permitted to address you as Rabjot.Kindly confirm in your next post.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
I have heard the suggestion from Muslims too that the Guru's are Muslim from the amount of times Allah is mentioned.

My friend told me that there are many approaches that are adopted for interpreting ordinances/edicts/statues.

Some of them are:

• Literal approach
  • Contextual Approach
  • Golden Rule Approach [admixture of the above]
  • Common sense Approach.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM