• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

A Few Tips For Nascent Sikhs?

May 26, 2005
San Francisco
I think one thing that would be good are some posts on what is considered proper Sikh religious conduct.

A few questions of mine to start out with:

-- I know we are to pray 5 times a day. The morning prayer, for instance, is the Japji. However, reciting it or even quietly reading it is an hour long-- is that usual? How can we properly make time for this and for the other prayers?

-- If I listen to prayers on an iPod, is that acceptable?

-- What is considered proper "ambrosial hours"? How do you wake yourself up for them? (I mainly ask this b/c I do not want to wake up my spouse, so the quieter the better :))

-- What is the history and the religious logic around the Rehat Maryada?

-- Would it be within boundaries to consider a cybercommunity space (like SikhPhilosophy.net) as a proper Sangat?

-- Would seva include volunteer work that some would consider controversial, such as union organizing, civil rights work or anti-war work?

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
-- I know we are to pray 5 times a day. The morning prayer, for instance, is the Japji. However, reciting it or even quietly reading it is an hour long-- is that usual? How can we properly make time for this and for the other prayers?

Perhaps break it up into several times a day to fit into your schedule. Or maybe get up earlier? There are several ways to work around this.

Many gurudwara's have recorded prayers on all day, this is just a mobile way to listen to prayers, this is actually very good idea.

-- Would it be within boundaries to consider a cybercommunity space (like SikhPhilosophy.net) as a proper Sangat?

If your sangat in your community is lacking and not adequate (like mine) you can resort to cyber sangats, be sure to keep a look out for wrong info-the net is full of it. This is also a good idea, especially for sikh youth who want more.

-- Would seva include volunteer work that some would consider controversial, such as union organizing, civil rights work or anti-war work

:unsure: I don;t know, if it is under a sikhi organization it could be, other groups might not share sikhi values though.

that's my best answers

May 26, 2005
San Francisco
Thank you, Khalsaji! I hope other folks will chime in with their questions, too. I know that one of my frustrations as a nascent Sikh was trying to separate the chaff from the wheat when it came to Sikhi, web-wise. Those questions up there are still a few I still feel quite fuzzy on.

GurFateh!

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!!

Jogindar Singh Kaur said:
-- I know we are to pray 5 times a day

i would just like to say that, praying 5 times a day was a muslim thing. Sikh's are to do paath three times a day{ In the morning, evening and before going to bed}

bhoolchook

SPNer
Mar 13, 2005
India
Re: A logic about Rehat Maryada.

Gur Fateh. During the nineteenth century and also in the initial years of the twentieth century, the organising of the sikh institutions was considered by some prominent sikhs and it was thought there must be some discipline code for observation by the devoted sikhs.However there were many controversaries and a lot of discussions were held and the all basic details were analytically considered and approved in the form of Rehat Maryada.One can go through the full text at the site sgpc.net. However there was no process to sort out the controversaries arising at the latter stage nor there is any clear cut version about the supremacy of which of the organisation to finally decide about the authenticacy.As its result the different pleas put forward by some of the renowned Sikhs remain undecided, resulting in groupism and stage of uncertainity.I am not aware of the various details but the 'Ardaas' which we listen at Harmandar Sahib is not the same as prescribed in Rehat Maryada published by the SGPC. What I feel we must not limit the actual practising the Sikh beliefs with a strict code of diets, dresses, and schedules but encourage the practical living like a sikh, with humble-ness, Kirat and Naam-japna. You just visualize the life-styles of the members of the SGPC or the Prabandhaks of even smaller Gurdwaras, lacking humbleness, always authoritative, never helpful to ordinary sikhs, planning projects on commercial aspects etc. Coming to the the subject, we must decide the code we are to observe on understanding the Gurbani and its dictats.We are not Sikhs because we are born in a Sikh family, or we look like sikh by our dress or figure, we must be Sikhs by our behaviour , thoughts and actual living life-styles.

eropa234

SPNer
Mar 24, 2005
Toronto
Reciting Japji Sahib should not taken more than 25 mins

Sri Guru Granth Sahib in itself is Rehit Maryada. Since there are very few people who understand the meaning behind the Shabads, they rely on Rehit Maryada for code of conduct. If you gain only a little knowledge of words behind Granth, you don't need rehit maryada.

There is absolutely no benift in simply reading the words, regardless of the time they are read. There are hugh benifits in understandig the meaning and applying it in your daily life.

Sincerly,

Inder Pal Singh

Pavan Kumar

SPNer
Jul 24, 2005
Hi.

In my attempt to decrypt vedas -- the aryan scriptures ,
I can say a devta is nothing but a verb , a action which returns desired value;
When I experienced "the light" i heard ...
AUM y RAM ...
so i think its perfectly alright to do your jap on
ipod
love and best wishes.

pavan kumar

Amerikaur

SPNer
Feb 19, 2005
America
Jogindar ji, I was thinking about you when I had a conversation with a couple of friends this weekend...both listen to their prayers on an iPod.

One said that listening on the train was a great way to focus in on God, and that he could concentrate on his nitnayms for the entire trip without fear of being interrupted.

Another said that she prefers her ipod because she does not want to do anything that would disturb her housemates (who she has sometimes had a tenuous relationship with)

So...my own moorakh opinion...it's between the individual and Guru as to what they want to do...but if using an iPod brings about a positive change in rehat, that is probably a good thing!

GushK

SPNer
Oct 5, 2004
London
Hi

Just a small thing to add.
Though listening to recorded paath is good, and helps a person to focus, try not to get into his habit too much, especially if you do this in the context of your working life (i.e while you're doing other things).

It becomes very easy to "tune out" and never really listen. (lately, i've been guilty of this)

I always find it better to wake up just that little bit earlier, sit down with a gutka and concentrate in peace and quiet.

I think more what i'm trying to emphasise is making sure to do it with a singleness of mind, be it via recording or any other method.
For me, doing it this way, right in the morning, has always made my day more fulfilling with gurbani permeating my thoughts throughout the rest of the day. I just end up remembering HIM much more....

Sep 4, 2005
Punjab, India
truthseeker said:

i would just like to say that, praying 5 times a day was a muslim thing. Sikh's are to do paath three times a day{ In the morning, evening and before going to bed}

I thought Guru asked us to be in a perpetual prayer ! If we are to pray for 2 or 5 times a day then what to do in the remaining part of the day ??

hpluthera

SPNer
Oct 3, 2005
Auckland
Dear Joginder Singh kaur ji
Hukum - Guru sayeth Saas saas Simro Govind"
Uthat bethat - Bhaj Kewal naam )
While sitting or standing in each breath remember his name.
Ritualistically we do not have five time prayers but Five banis.
Sikh must always keep "Guru Ka Shabd" in Dhyan all times and one will reach a stage when It forms Naam with in and then

"Ander vase bahr Bhi Ohi"

Inside and outside you will see Him that is the Naam awastha every Sikh need to reach.
Guru Sahib urged for Gurbani Vichar to understand Naam Simarn. Simro Simar Simar Sukh Pao...
So just understanding "Bhaj man mere....
Bani Is read again and again till it becomes Naam with in you. Only one word can be Naam or whole of Guru Granth Sahib Akhand Path may not lead you any where many Bhais do that in their life time again and again do all of them reach Naam awastha?

Gur Ka Shaba Man Mein Dhyan.
Proper Sikh Religious Condut is given by Sri Guru Nanak Devji Maharaj
Naam japo
Kirt Karo
Wand Chako
It is just that simple philosophers make it complicated.
Naam japna is Life's objective.
Doing Good Deeds is the best Sikh Religious Conduct.
It is that simple.
Sarv Dharam Mein Shreshth Dharm jap har ka Nao Kar Nirmal karam
There is a whole shabad some one can fill in
Gurbani Guides us through various analogies but One who has accepted to be a Sikh and Surrendered to Guru " mane Ki gat Kahi na Jaye" He is not in duality so need not go further just stick to Naam Simran Kirat Karni Wand Chhakna.
I fail to under stand why we are making Sikhi very complicated for our next generation with so much ritualistic calling.
Sikhi has three Principles established by Sri Guru Nanak dev Ji. Guruji Had to Travel and recite bani to dispell doubts but those who are blessed to have born as Sikhs should not waste time in searching but accepting and straightway start journey to reach the ultimate.
Guru Nanak Gave evry Sikh One Prayer for "Sarbhat Da Bhala" and we must do that every day.
"Naam Simar Pachutayenga"
Guru Will Bless us all to have Sumat of Naam
HP Luthera

Living as Khalsa Order have some more decipilines

Jogindar Singh Kaur said:
I think one thing that would be good are some posts on what is considered proper Sikh religious conduct.

A few questions of mine to start out with:

-- What is considered proper "ambrosial hours"? How do you wake yourself up for them? (I mainly ask this b/c I do not want to wake up my spouse, so the quieter the better :))

-- What is the history and the religious logic around the Rehat Maryada?

-- Would seva include volunteer work that some would consider controversial, such as union organizing, civil rights work or anti-war work?

sskohli

SPNer
Mar 8, 2005
India
Sat Sri Akal Saadh Sangat
I think there is no use, in just going through Japji Sahib, etc just for the sake of it.
It took me 2-3 hours to go through it for the first time, because i was delving into the meaning of it, and contemplating, how that line could be fit into my life.
I think listening through ipod, etc would be great only if you know what actually the line means, so as soon as you hear that line, it Strikes you.
Without knowing the meaning would be like listening to any other music/speech.
Don't know its my understanding.

Waheguruji ka khalsa

hpluthera

SPNer
Oct 3, 2005
Auckland
Dear Friend
I can understand your frustration. Gian of Akhar as given in the Japji itself further confirms its importance after reading your problem. Gurbani is for Vichar. Howver it does have a magic. Gurbani is like "match stick" and our soul is the wood which has the latent fire which is like a wet wood which takes time to ignite. So first we dry it by keeping it away from Punj Chors then the match ignites it so keep rubbing it( Gurbani) by repitition you do not know when the Match will ignite the fire with in and once it starts it will give the best warmth and comfort.

So it is also like Knife on melon or melon on knife the end result will be that it will make the cut. Gurbani is Knife that will make the cut and give salvation to the Soul.

Learn may be one word a day it took people 2 minutes to 20 years to understand the right message and some failed in many life times because they did not allow it to be around them.

every word has its impact. Want to try. Listen a Song for long time and you will start humning it all day.

Regards
HPLuthera
sskohli said:
Sat Sri Akal Saadh Sangat
I think there is no use, in just going through Japji Sahib, etc just for the sake of it.
It took me 2-3 hours to go through it for the first time, because i was delving into the meaning of it, and contemplating, how that line could be fit into my life.
I think listening through ipod, etc would be great only if you know what actually the line means, so as soon as you hear that line, it Strikes you.
Without knowing the meaning would be like listening to any other music/speech.
Don't know its my understanding.

Waheguruji ka khalsa

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM