• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

A Faith Ahead Of Its Time: The Hypocrisy Of Sikhism

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Re: A Faith Ahead of its Time;The Hypocrisy of Sikhism

:wah:Sukmmen, you are absolutely right and I see no contradiction in being an athiest and being a Sikh who followes the teachings of Guru Nanak and Guru Gobind Singh ji It is very true that a large percent of Sokhs. especially the Jats, believe in caste ism.With no intention of seeming disrespectful,I sometimes feel that it would have been very helpfull if some of our great Sikh Gurus had married out of their caste.:unsure:

If they had, then people would say, "Oh, they only married into such and such castes, therefore, all castes apart from these castes are taboo". The Punjabi mentality is ridiculous.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
sukhmen ji..havent you ever heard the saying..a "robin/sparrow..doesnt make the SUMMER.
SIKHS are NOT SIKHISM/GURMATT. A few bad apples..a few "bad" caste ridden Sikhs DONT make up Sikhism/Gurmatt in Totality.

My 4 year old child said...America has a PRISON POPULATION of a few MILLION..out of 200 million Americans..can we then name USA.. Democracy Ahead of its time..A Nation of CRIMINALS...?? The Criminals DONT represent USA Democracy..simialrly the casteist sikhs DONT represent SIKHISM. Period.:thumbup:

sukhmen

SPNer
Oct 28, 2009
I would like to apologize if it seems like I was/am accusing the whole Sikh community of exercising the cast system - that was not at all what I had tried to get across.
It probably seemed as though, and was reflected in my tone because this topic seems to be disregarded a whole lot.
What I was trying to get across was, those Sikhs that seem to exercise the caste system (which seemed like an awful lot to me being that almost every single Sikh
I've met in my life agreed on at least one thing - their sons or daughters marrying into the same caste only)
After interviewing elders in which I was supposed to look upon, and hearing their responses to simple questions such as:
"Do you understand that Sikhism prohibits the use of the caste system?"
Their replies would beat around the bush and I would get replies such as:
"In the Gurdwara, yes" or that they were more worried about what their Sikh community would say.

Aug 27, 2005
Baltimore Md USA
Namaste

I am not a Sikh but caste means absolutely nothing to me. Whats more I really have no understanding of it except some understanding of varna. I am a romantic sort and if I loved someone their origins would make no difference to me.

BTW in America we have a disproportionate number of people in prison, because of our drug laws, but our population is more like 300 million.

Peace
Satyaban

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
Satyaban ji,

I am reproducing an exchange between Kanwardeep Singh ji and myself that took place a few days back

By Kanwardeep Singh ji

Re: Dalits enter TN temple first time in 100 yrs
Isn't it strange that these people are still Hindu's despite so much discrimination by upper caste .While Lower caste sikhs leave sikhism and become Ravidasi's or Dera follower because they are not treated equally

By myself

Kanwardeep ji,

There is a difference. Sikhism professes no discrimination based on caste but it is practiced rampantly especially in Punjab. This is hypocrisy.

Whereas in Hinduism it is declared that caste is the basis of differentiation. In such circumstances to have got the right of entry is an achievement

By Kanwardeep Singh ji

Harbans ji
You can Go to any Hindu forum and ask this question and All the people will say that Caste is Not birth based in Hinduism.So present day Hindu scholars
especially the urban one don't agree with it.

On another point I agree with you that caste based discrimination is condemned Sikhism but again sikhs are Human too and It is Human nature to
prove their superiority on others.The case is quite similar to muslims who preach islamic brotherhood but we all know that how Arabs beleive they are superior in Muslims.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Gyani Ji,Gurfateh.I absolutely agree with everything that you have written.It was very wrong on my part to use the term 'helpful'.Bieng a Sikh,how can I ever question or even doubt any act of our great Gurus.I,being a simple farmer,could not express my views in the right perspective.

Jasbir Ji,

You have not said anything wrong..per se...and i have not corrected your wrong in any way...i read your post very attentively and you have expressed it well.

What I am trying to stress is and also Tejwant ji has put across even more clearly si that SIKHI/GURMATT is IDEA BASED. Our GURU..is SGGS...and this is for ALL. What could be better. ANY ONE..irrespective of his caste/status/creed/ whatever can take SGGS home, read , vichaar, LOVE it in any way he/she likes...its the IDEAS inside that are GURU. Precisely to GET RID of HUMANS as GURUS..when the time was right..the GURUS immediately passed the Gurgadee to the Shanad Guru SGGS which is INFALLIBLE ian any and all situations in which humans can "fail" or be seen to "fail" (like some today are pointing fingers at the human Gurus for not marrying other castes ?? Which caste is right ??

Guru Nanak ji walked all over the world preaching by EXAMPLE..LOVE..how many Sikhs have followed that ?? Guru Gobind Singh Ji sacrificed his father, mother, FOUR sons...how many Siksh have done likewise ?? Its so EASY to talk..and many do...But the wise ones among us...LOVE the TRUE GURU SGGS and FOLLOW what it SAYS...if we fail to do that we are failures.

Thank you for a beautiful reply.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Namaste
I am not a Sikh but caste means absolutely nothing to me. Whats more I really have no understanding of it except some understanding of varna. I am a romantic sort and if I loved someone their origins would make no difference to me.

Peace
Satyaban

Satyaban ji,

Guru Fateh.

I am glad caste means nothing to you which is very good. The fact is that it can not mean anything to you because you are a convert to Hinduism, hence not born in any caste. However, the religion you have embraced IS based on caste system and it can not be denied. Bhagat Ravidas, who belonged to a lower caste in the Hindu religion hierarchical ladder was not even allowed to enter the temple like many like him are still not.

Sikhi is suffering from the same mal, sadly speaking because some of the Sikhs still practice caste system which is against Sikhi ideals given to us in the SGGS, our ONLY GURU.

But the fact of the matter is that Hinduism IS based on caste system and the denial of caste system would be the denial of the religion itself.

One can not take a leaf from a tree and claim that one loves this leaf and hence rejects the whole tree. Without the tree, there is no leaf the one that one has plucked.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM