• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

A Christian Missionary Tried To Convert Me

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
A Christian clergymen contacted me with a view to convert me. Here are my replies.

Day 1
yesHeis Hi Kuldip Singh Lamba, DAY 1 PRAYER // Communication with God WELCOME TO THE CHRISTIAN LIFE. WE WANT TO HELP YOU GET TO KNOW MORE ABOUT GOD. EVERY DAY FOR THE NEXT 7 DAYS WE WILL SEND YOU AN EMAIL TO
8 Feb
Me aWhat do you mean by my new life and my sins. I am a Sikh and I don't believe in Jessus. I asked to send me the matter you wanted to send me so that I can learn something about Christianity. It is not that I have joined your faith.
God created the Universe and we all are His children. Nobody or any faith in the world has monopoly to believe in Him.
It is narrow mindedness to say or believe that only Christianity is the True faith to connect with God. Christians say Jessus was the only son of God and the Muslims say Mohammed was the last of the prophets. It is nothing but gain saying. You both want to express that yours is the only faith and either of you do not respect other religions.
10 Feb
YesHeIsHindi Dear Kuldip, Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. What we mean by new life is exactly why Jesus came. Jesus said: "I come to give you life", we call this being born again. This means we bec
11 Feb
To
• YesHeIsHin d
• i

Message Body
Christianity is monopolizing 'the only son' and Islam is monopolizing 'the last prophet'. How ridicule. The entire humanity is children of God, the Creator and as long as the humanity exists there will be enlightened men to show the humanity the path of Truth that leads to God.
Stop monopolizing that your's is the only.
Guru Granth Sahib says there were hundreds and thousands of Ram, Krishnas and other prophets and religious personages who enlightened the thinking of the Humanity. Sikh Gurus do not claim any superiority to other religions but our Gurus were Humble as humbleness could be. They didn't give us false assurances but asked each of his followers to live truthful, virtuous life. earn by practicing honest lively-hood and share it with the needy without distinction of caste, creed or religion.
At Amrisar Golden Temple an average of 70,000 people of all religions, rich poor, lowly and the mighty sit side by side and eat free food served to one and all. On Sundays or other holidays the part-takers rise over 'One hundred thousand".
Dear Kuldip,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

What we mean by new life is exactly why Jesus came. Jesus said: "I come to give you life", we call this being born again. This means we become the person God created us to be, and through the death of Jesus on the cross all our sins are forgiven as we learn to trust Him.

You are correct in saying that Mohammad is a prophet according to Islam, but only one ever claimed to be the son of God, and His name is Jesus.

It is only through Jesus that we can know God the creator as our father.

We are not talking about a religion, we are talking about a relationship and no other faith teaches that.

God bless.

yesHeis Team

Day 2 DAY 2 THE BIBLE // Our daily bread TODAY I WANT TO INTRODUCE YOU TO THE BIBLE. WHAT IS THE BIBLE AND WHY SHOULD YOU READ IT? The Bible is a collection of 66 books written by 40
9 Feb
The Bible was not written by Jessus. As you say it was written about 400 years after his demise. Guru Granth Sahib (the Holy Book of Sikhs) of the Sikhs is the only holy scriptures of the world to have been written/composed by the Gurus (the founders of the faith) and also included writings/compositions of saints belonging to some other religions the philosophy of which was in line with Sikh faith. Sikhism do not dispute the existence of other faiths.

10 Feb
Peter Jenkins My dear friend I think you have confused the fact that the Bible was written over 16OO years to mean it was written 1600 years ago. You have then deduced that it was written 400 years after Jesus Of c
10 Feb

To Me
11 Feb
Dear kuldip,

I think you have confused the fact that the Bible was written over 16OO years to mean it was written 1600 years ago.

You have then deduced that it was written 400 years after Jesus
Of course you could not mean that as the Old testament was all written before
Jesus was born and most of the writers of the New testament died in the first century after Christ was born

Peter

Day 3
yesHeis
To Me
10 Feb
Hi Kuldip Singh Lamba,
Belonging to a local Church

WE HAVE TALKED ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAYER AND READING YOUR BIBLE. TODAY WE WANT TO ENCOURAGE YOU TOFIND A LOCAL CHURCH.

The term 'Church' just means, a gathering of people who are followers of Jesus. When we talk about a Church we often think of a building. But the building is where the Church meets, it is not the real Church.

The best way to understand the meaning of Church is by thinking about a human body. The picture of the church as a body shows how each person has a place and purpose within it. Each part is necessary and no more important than any other part. When one part suffers, the whole body suffers, just as in our physical bodies.

Someone said, “The Church is the only organisation on earth that exists for the benefits of non members”. The Church exists to glorify God and to bring others to know Jesus. Belonging to a local Church helps you learn more about God, prepares you to serve God, and encourages you to tell others about God.

It is hard to live the Christian life alone. We need others to help us and we need to help others. This is what we call Fellowship.
Fellowship means friendship and support through getting to know each other. The early church met together regularly for teaching, prayer and worship, with thankful hearts. They demonstrated their love for those outside the church, so their numbers increased rapidly, as people saw their changed lives, and wanted to become followers of Jesus too.

No Church is perfect but then neither are you!

To find a local Church with these values, visit several before deciding where you feel most at home. If you want to ask us for some advice before you join a particular church we are here to help you.

The reply to this is missing. Probably i didn't reply.

Day 4
yesHeis
To Me
11 Feb
Hi Kuldip Singh Lamba,
Showing others Jesus

WE HAVE STARTED TO PRAY AND READ OUR BIBLES AND HAVE LEARNED THE IMPORTANCE OF GOING TO CHURCH. BUT IS THIS MAKING ANY DIFFERENCE TO THE WAY WE LIVE?

The bible teaches us in 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
So, how much change has taken place in your life? The Christian life is a journey, we have not arrived at our destination, but we have left our starting point.

Today, can you describe the difference that has taken place in your life?
Can others see the difference?
You can tell an apple tree by the simple fact it produces apples. So if you are following the Christian life you should be producing fruit, which is evidence, you have given your life to Christ.

Jesus works from the inside out. When we accept Him into our lives he cleans us up on the inside, so that our actions and attitudes on the outside are evidence of a changed life.

As we allow God's love to fill our hearts, we will begin to feel uncomfortable about things that never bothered us before. This is the Holy Spirit working on our conscience, helping us change.
Changes to our lifestyle will be the biggest witness to those around us, as we become more Christ-like and less selfish, or self-centred.

You can also read more about living a holy life in the following sections of the Bible:

GALATIANS 5:22-23 "But the Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self-control."
EPHESIANS 4:22-24 "So gets rid of your old self, which made you live as you used to... Your hearts and minds must be made completely new."

If you have any questions regarding what you've just read, please contact us.

yesHEis Team
and no more important than any other part. When one part suffers, the whole body suffers, just as in our physical bodies.

and wanted to become followers of Jesus too.

No Church is perfect but then neither are you!

To find a local Church with these values, visit several before deciding where you feel most at home. If you want to ask us for some advice before you join a particular church we are here to help you.

yesHEis Teamand no more important than any other part. When one part suffers, the whole body suffers, just as in our physical bodies.

It is hard to live the Christian life alone. We need others to help us and we need to help others. This is what we call Fellowship.
Fellowship means friendship and support through getting to know each other. The early church met together regularly for teaching, prayer and worship, with thankful hearts. They demonstrated their love for those outside the church, so their numbers increased rapidly, as people saw their changed lives, and wanted to become followers of Jesus too.

Probably didn't reply as no response mail is there.

yesHEis Team

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Day 5 Witness Day 5 Witness
yesHeis Hi Kuldip Singh Lamba, DAY 5 WITNESS // Telling others about Jesus WHEN WE HAVE SOME GOOD NEWS, WE WANT TO TELL OTHER PEOPLE. JESUS CAME TO GIVE US GOOD NEWS. HOW COULD THERE BE ANY BETTER NEWS THAN T
12 Feb
Me I am not a Christian, nor I am a follower of Jesus and I do not seek God through him. God is manifest in His entire creation. I am a Sikh and know that every living human being is a child of God and t
12 Feb

Me

13 Feb
I have received your E Mail ( which I read and was replying to it when it suddenly got deleted) wherein you have again claimed Mohamed was the last of Prophets and Jesus was the only son of God.
My reply is you are monopolizing that Jesus was the only son and I slam monopolizing Mohammed was the last Prophet, It is ridiculous and preposterous.
Guru Nanak says there have been hundreds and thousands of Rams and Krishans as well as the religious leaders in the Gods creation. All were mortals like the other human beings, but they were gifted with wisdom to show path to the humanity that leads to God. Our Gurus never claimed Sikhism to be superior than other religions of the world and they said of themselves to be humblest of humble people.
Our Gurus made no false promises to any one but asked every one to be grateful to God for his bounties and also that one must live an honest life earning honest lively-hood and share the earnings with the needy without discrimination of caste, creed or religion whatsoever.
Therefore at Golden Temple daily free food is served to over 100,000 people rich, poor, humble and mighty sitting side by side and eat food. On Sundays or other holidays the number of people served free food crosses over two hundred thousand.
I am giving here a report of the raw food items and consumables used daily in preparing free food as here under:-
Astonishing kitchen that feeds 100,000 daily
Free at the Sikhs' holiest shrine Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple)

Two hundred thousand Rotis - Chapattis 1.5 tons of Daal (lentil soup) and free food served to 100,000 people every day at the Golden Temple Amritsar On weekends and on special occasions double the numbers of people visit the langar Hall.
The concept of langar was initiated centuries ago by Guru Nanak,
“Anyone can eat for free here . The langar never stops and on an average 7,000 kg of wheat flour, 1,200 kg of rice, 1,300 kg of lentils, 500 kg of clarified butter is used in preparing the meal every day,”
“The free kitchen uses electronic bread makers and for the cooking around 100 LPG cylinders and 5,000 kilograms of firewood used every day.
The kitchen is run by 450 staff, helped by hundreds of volunteers. People come to volunteer at the langar . You forget all the differences that separates humans from each other.
Volunteers wash the 300,000 plates, spoons and bowls used in feeding the people. The food is vegetarian . The yearly budget of the langar runs into hundreds of millions. One has to see it to believe.

y.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
y.Day 6 of the Journey - Holy Spirit(8)
yesHeis Hi Kuldip Singh Lamba, DAY 6 HOLY SPIRIT // the seal of God's presence in our lives WE HAVE LEARNED THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAYER, READING OUR BIBLES, GOING TO CHURCH, AND BEING A WITNESS. TODAY WE ARE GOI
13 Feb
Me Our Gurus did not believe in miracles as our Guru says it is the tricks played by the jugglers. Hinduism is based on Myths which are hard to believe and the same way Jesus also speaks of Myths. Sikhis
13 Feb
Peter Jenkins so please explain what do you believe happens when you die how do you believe the world began look foward to your reply Peter
14 Feb
Me Dear Mr. Peter Jenkins, I am pleased to reply to your queries regarding what happens after death and the begining of the universe as per Sikh Philosophy. On Birth and death Gauri Sukhman Fifth Mehal.
Feb 17 at 4:59 PM
Peter Jenkins Thank you so it seems you keep on keeping on until you become nothing Is that good journey ? As a christian I begin by being accepted with God. I cannot make myself good enough , cannot earn it and do
Feb 18 at 10:27 PM
Me Sikhism believes in 'the results based upon one's deeds and actions' and not on trusts placing on any individual "Jesus or anybody" as all are mortals. "Kam (sensual desires), Karodh (wrathful), Lobh (greed), Moh (attachment) and Hankar (self conceit) are the five enemies of a Man and if h
Feb 19 at 11:18 AM
Peter Jenkins I am sorry that I did not explain what I meant please forgive that Can you please tell what do you believe happens when you die I am reading the history of Sikhism and am wanting to know that Thank yo
Feb 19 at 5:37 PM
Peter Jenkins
To Me
Feb 19 at 5:40 PM
You say that Gurus do not believe in miralces but in the book I am reading Guru Nanak had supernatural things happen that convinced others he was a holy man

Show message history
V

Day 7 of the Journey - Baptism(4)
yesHeis Hi Kuldip Singh Lamba, DAY 7 BAPTISM // buried and raised to a new life. WE HAVE LEARNED THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAYER, READING OUR BIBLES, GOING TO CHURCH, AND BEING A WITNESS. THANK GOD WE DO NOT HAVE TO
14 Feb
Me I got baptized the Sikh way. It is called "Amrit Sancahr". We are given to have 5 Ks, ie. Kesh (Hairs, not to cut, trim or remove), Kanga (a comb, for keeping hair properly clean), Kara (an iron brace
Feb 19 at 12:26 PM
Peter Jenkins Yes I am currently reading the history of Sikhism and there are many things I respect We believe that the Gurus taught very important values Our Guru is called Jesus and He did not only teach us about
Feb 19 at 5:21 PM
Me
To Peter Jenkins
Feb 19 at 5:50 PM
Our Gurus say:-

Goojri, 489...God is near, do not think Him far away,
He ever cares for us and remembers us too.

Maru, 1026... Speak the truth and realise the Lord within;
For, He is not far from you,
You have only to see Him intuitivelDay 6 of the Journey - Holy Spirit(8)
yesHeis Hi Kuldip Singh Lamba, DAY 6 HOLY SPIRIT // the seal of God's presence in our lives WE HAVE LEARNED THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAYER, READING OUR BIBLES, GOING TO CHURCH, AND BEING A WITNESS. TODAY WE ARE GOI
13 Feb
Me Our Gurus did not believe in miracles as our Guru says it is the tricks played by the jugglers. Hinduism is based on Myths which are hard to believe and the same way Jesus also speaks of Myths. Sikhis
13 Feb
Peter Jenkins so please explain what do you believe happens when you die how do you believe the world began look foward to your reply Peter
14 Feb
Me Dear Mr. Peter Jenkins, I am pleased to reply to your queries regarding what happens after death and the begining of the universe as per Sikh Philosophy. On Birth and death Gauri Sukhman Fifth Mehal.
Feb 17 at 4:59 PM
Peter Jenkins Thank you so it seems you keep on keeping on until you become nothing Is that good journey ? As a christian I begin by being accepted with God. I cannot make myself good enough , cannot earn it and do
Feb 18 at 10:27 PM
Me Sikhism believes in 'the results based upon one's deeds and actions' and not on trusts placing on any individual "Jesus or anybody" as all are mortals. "Kam (sensual desires), Karodh (wrathful), Lobh (greed), Moh (attachment) and Hankar (self conceit) are the five enemies of a Man and if h
Feb 19 at 11:18 AM
Peter Jenkins I am sorry that I did not explain what I meant please forgive that Can you please tell what do you believe happens when you die I am reading the history of Sikhism and am wanting to know that Thank yo
Feb 19 at 5:37 PM
Peter Jenkins
To Me
Feb 19 at 5:40 PM
You say that Gurus do not believe in miralces but in the book I am reading Guru Nanak had supernatural things happen that convinced others he was a holy man

Show message history
V

Day 7 of the Journey - Baptism(4)
yesHeis Hi Kuldip Singh Lamba, DAY 7 BAPTISM // buried and raised to a new life. WE HAVE LEARNED THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAYER, READING OUR BIBLES, GOING TO CHURCH, AND BEING A WITNESS. THANK GOD WE DO NOT HAVE TO
14 Feb
Me I got baptized the Sikh way. It is called "Amrit Sancahr". We are given to have 5 Ks, ie. Kesh (Hairs, not to cut, trim or remove), Kanga (a comb, for keeping hair properly clean), Kara (an iron brace
Feb 19 at 12:26 PM
Peter Jenkins Yes I am currently reading the history of Sikhism and there are many things I respect We believe that the Gurus taught very important values Our Guru is called Jesus and He did not only teach us about
Feb 19 at 5:21 PM
Me
To Peter Jenkins
Feb 19 at 5:50 PM
Our Gurus say:-

Goojri, 489...God is near, do not think Him far away,
He ever cares for us and remembers us too.

Maru, 1026... Speak the truth and realise the Lord within;
For, He is not far from you,
You have only to see Him intuitivel

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Ji, the pastes are hard to read and incomplete like this but the general gist is there, thanks for sharing. Good for you in resisting the Christian ideas and for teaching them a little something about Sikhi.

It troubles me greatly when, on 19 Feb, he starts trying to relate Christianity to you using Sikh terms, "Our Guru is called Jesus".

The more such brainwashed people learn, the more it becomes ammunition to use against us. Jesus is the SatGuru, the Holy Spirit is Naam, Waheguru is God, God's Plan is Hukam, so can't you see how God has been in your life but you've been doing it wrong and wasting your time, when you could be a Christian and it's so much easier, and you have the Sat Guru Jesus Christ to absolve your of your sins just like that and you can go to Heaven when you die and you don't even have to keep your hair? Doesn't that sound nice???

Utterly misled.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Christian evangelists use many such techniques to convert people by hook or crook. In the Punjabi New Testament I have (printed by the Gideons), the place where Jesus is called 'Rabbi' is translated as 'Satguru'. The Christian missionaries deliberately use Sikh terms like 'Satguru', 'Sacha Patshah', 'Guru' for Jesus to serve their means. I mean, if you have to evangelise, atleast do it with dignity.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
Christian clergy men using unethical methods for onverting Non-christians.
I have come across/heard many stories about these clergymen adopting unethical methods to convert especially those who are easy targets.
I have read in News Papers these unprincipled clergymen approach through Doctors or nurses to entrap poor patients in Government Hospitals. For two days they will intentionally give medicines that do not cure the patient and then they ask the patient that he should pray to the divinity in which he has faith as he is not responding to their medicines. Another 2 days go and the patient hears the sane story when he is advised to pray to Jesus. After giving the advise the doctors/nurses start giving the right medicine for the ailment. Naturally with the right medicine and the patient is cured at which the patient is told that he as also the doctor
/nurse concerned prayed to Jesus because of which he got cured. The patient will be impressed and they can pressurize him to convert, saying "Jesus Helps".
Once while travelling by train, husband wife clergy men were sitting opposite me. The Lady clergy opened a Bible copy and started to speak to me about Christianity when the Gentleman clergy stopped her, saying "Don't you know he is a Sikh?"

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
My replies sent to the clergyman have inadvertently been deleted in part.
While sending my replies i completed my sentences but the matter I posted at SPN Blog appears distorted or incomplete. However you have correctly assumed what I was explaining to him.
The shortcoming/incomplete posting, as such, is regretted.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM