• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

1984 Anti-Sikh Pogrom 84 Riots: Victim Alleges She Was Also Injured By Mob

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
New Delhi: A woman witness, whose husband and a son were killed in 1984 anti-Sikh riots, today alleged before a Delhi court trying Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and others, that she was also injured in the carnage as she tried to rescue her relatives.

"The mob did not attack me but when I tried to rescue my husband and son, the mob gave lathi (cane) blow on my legs.

except for slight injury on my leg, I did not sustain any injury on any other part of the body. I received 1-2 lathi blows while saving my husband and son" Jagdish Kaur told additional sessions judge Sunita Gupta.

"There was total destruction, which included looting and setting ablaze," the 69-year-old witness said during her cross examination by S A Hashmi, counsel for accused Balwan Khokhar, nephew of Sajjan Kumar.

The woman, who is now settled in Amritsar, claimed she had given the name of accused Khokhar in her affidavit filed before justice GT Nanavati Commission.

When it was pointed out by Hashmi that the name of the accused was not mentioned in the affidavit, she said she mentioned the name but the officials told her that she need not repeat the name which she had already given before Rangnath Mishra Commission.

"I have mentioned the name of Man Singh and Bhagmal and I was about to give the name of others when I was told by reader (staff) of the SDM that there is no need to repeat the names of persons already mentioned."

"I had mentioned the complete name of Balwan Khokhar who was Congress leader," she deposed.

When the witness was again confronted by Hashmi by pointing out that it was not there in the affidavit, she said "I had stated to the magistrate who recorded my statement that I was not feeling well. Magistrate advised me that since CBI officials have come from faraway, a brief statement may be given."

The cross examination of the witness remained inconclusive and is likely to resume on July 12.

The court is conducting the trial against Kumar, the former outer Delhi MP and Balwan Khokhar, Krishan Khokhar, Mahender Yadav, Captain Bhagmal and Girdhari Lal as his accomplices for the killing of five persons in Delhi Cantonment area during the riots that had followed the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.

The court had framed identical charges relating to murder and rioting against Kumar and others in two cases. CBI had filed two charge sheets against the accused on January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the recommendation of Justice (retd) G T Nanavati Commission which inquired into the sequence of events leading to the communal riots.

'84 riots: Victim alleges she was also injured by mob - dnaindia.com

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM