• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

5 Kakars Questions

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
5 Kakars Questions
By Bindy Bains

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Hello SPN members… my first post in a long time, and after a rather turbulent 2005 I am proud to be “back” in sikhi and learning something new everyday.

Today I was at a sikhi related site (allaboutsikhs.com) and I read that the 5 Kakars being the Kara, kirpan, kachara, kangha and Kesh should be worn and maintained at all times. It says in our SGGS that our 5 k’s must not depart our body. The problem is how do you keep some of these Kakars clean and tidy in certain events and situations.

I have very specific questions in mind, and I’m sure that a few of us need a re-freshener, so I would like to ask the following…

1) How do you keep kirpan, kangha, Kesh (and head covering?) clean and dry during a shower? I have shower every morning, and this is important.
2) When going to bathroom and other sometimes, unclean areas, how do you protect your k’s?
3) when sleeping, how do you keep 5 k’s on during sleeping (I have tendency to move in my sleep :p)?

Other question I had regarding our articles of dedication is the kirpan – I read that it is used for defending other sikh and other people (I already knew this BTW), however when I looked at my kirpan, it was not sharp! How can I defend anyone when my sword is dull and not even really big enough? Just a thought, anyone else have this question?

Thanks SPN,

-Bindy Bains
(Formerly, Khalsa Starr)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
waheguru ji ka khalsa
waheguru ji ki fateh

i am very happy khalsa starr ji that you are back in sikhism.what you have read on allabout sikhs.com is just fanatism.no where it is written in guru granth sahib to do this.guru gobind singh ji gave us five kakkars for a purpose not for wearing them as rituals

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

It is not Sikhism but Jattism or Brahmnaism to let all Five Ks be attached to us all the time.

Say for HAIRS OR KESHA others can be removed from time to time.In fact to trevel overseas these guys of allaboutsikhism also could be putting thier Kirpan in luggage and not taking on borads of Aircrafts.

So kds Ji are correct.We must not bother much about code before having Faith factor over Akal.

Das also removes some of Ks which are detachable in some situations.Like while taking bath or while sleeping or say while learning martial Arts class.

Do not bother about it.

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
vijaydeep Singh said:
Gurfateh

It is not Sikhism but Jattism or Brahmnaism to let all Five Ks be attached to us all the time.

Say for HAIRS OR KESHA others can be removed from time to time.In fact to trevel overseas these guys of allaboutsikhism also could be putting thier Kirpan in luggage and not taking on borads of Aircrafts.

:{-:) Ok, so i shouldn't have to wear them during shower time, howerver it isgood to keepp them on as much as possible.

Can anyone quote a part of the Guru granth sahib ji about this?

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
There's no direct quote from SGGS, but simple logic will tell you they can be removed at certain situations.

Not to be blunt, but how are you supposed to have sex with your kachara still on?..or are both partners kachara's supposed to be dangling by their feet, kind of absurd if you ask me. Our gurus had children too, so at one point in time, they did perform the same act, and hence had to remove their kachara.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Khalsa_starr said:
:{-:) Ok, so i shouldn't have to wear them during shower time, howerver it isgood to keepp them on as much as possible.
Can anyone quote a part of the Guru granth sahib ji about this?

5 kakars are not even mentioned in guru granth sahib

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Khalsa_starr said:
Really? I have always been told that it was in the holy scriptures - now i'm confused.
I know that Guru Gobind Singh Ji started the requirment of use of the 5 kakars, how did he know to use them?

ther is no bani of guru gobind singh ji in guru granth sahib .the bani of guru gobind singh is in dasam granth and in sarlobh granth and i don,t know whether 5ks they are mentioned in them or not.
the main source of 5ks are different rehatnamas
that is why there are several types of different rehat maryadas

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

At end of Dasham Granth there is code givne by Tenth Master.

Das will put main point of them here.

Five Ks are mentioned and without Kes(hairs) other four are useless.
This is writtan as per old tradition(Guru agrees that in past also it exisited).
Huqqah(Samoking) ,Shaving and Halal(meat as per Islamic rites) are forbiddan.
Using Hina on beard is like blackening the face.
(end)
In Sarbloh Granth we have mention of Treya Mudra ie Kachh Kes Kirpan.

By History of Ten Gurus and archelogical evidance we can conclude that previous Gurus had Trai Mudra and 5 Kes were made more clearer since the time of Tenth Master.

Guru Granth Sahib Ji are for mankind like Massiah Jesus.

Dasham Granth and Sarbloh Granth are for Sikhs only like Bible.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Satsriakal to all and Sikh Ji!

You wrote "Not to be blunt, but how are you supposed to have sex with your kachara still on?..or are both partners kachara's supposed to be dangling by their feet, kind of absurd if you ask me. Our gurus had children too, so at one point in time, they did perform the same act, and hence had to remove their kachara."

One should not forget the sanctity of Kachhara and other Kakaars in any situation.

In my view, it is better to give up the hypocritical values of Kakaars. For example, I know a person who made holes in his Kachhara to avoid any mistake.
This person keeps on wearing the wet Kachhara after the bath on one leg until he has not put another dried one on the other leg.

He is convinced that he is not separated from the Guru and God for a moment this way.

Persons, who can respect and sanctify Kachhara and other Kakaars, should preferably wear those.

Balbir Singh

hardeep23

SPNer
Feb 5, 2006
Respected members

The importance of five K is not stressed anywhere in gurbani. I do not see any reference to five K in any skh history expect articles on rehat maryada. I hope i may be wrong and there must be someone who is able to explain using reference from gurbani. For every explanation GURU GOBIND SINGH JI has asked us to take guidance from GURU GRANTH SAHIB.
The main issue is penetration of some self interested people who are misguiding sikhs to get involved in such petty things and keep us away from the roost cause of promoting sikhism. Sikhism is one of the modern religion where every thing is valued on logic and then agreed to. But gurani is the ultimate. We should follow the teaching of Gurbani.
Hardeep Singh Badhesha

kulmahal

SPNer
Apr 26, 2005
MICHIGAN USA
Hello Everyone,
Waheguru jee kaa khalsa
waheguru jee kee fateh.

This 5 K's issue requires intellectual’s debate whether Guru Gobind Singh Jee has ever said about wearing 5 K's.

There are all kind of stories that at the SAJNA of Punj Piarias, Guru Jee had naked kirpaan soaked with blood for more heads,....... but even this story does not mention about 5-kakaars.
Story goes on saying that on very next day, tens of thousands of Sangat took Khande-De-Pahul. The question is how these many Kacheras and kirpaan were arranged??

One thing is for sure:

· Guru Gobind Singh Jee had given Guuraiee to Siri Guru Granth jee.
· Guru Granth Sahib Jee prohibit wearing external symbols like Janaoo

Bhul Chuk Maaf Karne Jee

Jul 30, 2004
world
Gurfateh

For Bro Bindy Bains,

Best thing for you ios to take help of sikhmarg.com and they will give you more good adivce to come out of ritualism.

Dear KDS Ji,

On the last page of sgpce version of Dasham Granth which is not online as yet.It is on last page of Dasham Granth.

Dear Balber Singh JI,

das knows some of our people who put pne leg in Kacheera while sleeping with wives but that is more ritualism.

Dear Kulmahal Ji,

Each faith has some code,

Islam has circusenstioans and Hindus Janeu.

If Sikhism is not a ism like comunism but Religeon it has to have some code.

When we say that only Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave Guruship to Guru Granth Sahib Ji then you can not prove it by Guru Granth Sahib Ji as it is not mentioned in Guru Granth Sahib Ji themselve.

But Guruship of Guru Granth Sahib Ji was beofore Guru Gobind Singh Ji also in the form of Sabad Guru.

In Sarbloh Granth,Guruship of Guru Granth Sahib and Kachchh Kes Kirpan both are mentioned.

Archived_member2

Archived
Jul 18, 2004
Germany
Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!
Dear Bindy Bains Ji!

Guru Nanak Ji spoke "naanak tay mukh ujlay kaytee chhutee naal" SGGS Ang 8 - Japu Ji Sahib

A true Sikh is one who is blessed with True Naam. His Aura becomes radiant. There is no way to hide it.

The first true symbol of a true Sikh becomes visible this way.

The true Sikh does not wear symbols for photographers.

Balbir Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM