• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

3rd Pauri: 4th Ashtapadee: Sukhmani Sahib: My Understanding

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,
With the blessing of ‘The Sat’, through this post I share my understanding of the 3rd Pauri of 4th Ashtapadee of Sukhmani Sahib with you.
1. Awid AMiq jo rwKnhwru ] aad ant jo raakhanhaar.
From the beginning till the end who has guarded.

2. iqs isau pRIiq n krY gvwru ] tis si-o pareet na karai gavaar.
The stupid individuals do not love this entity.

My Understanding:
Here Guru Sahib points out to his Sikhs the ungratefulness of us human. As indicated by Guru Sahib in his earlier tuks, what an individual is, it is due to the care and protection of ‘The Sat’, yet the individuals do not even realize this fact. They think that all is due to them; few give credit to their parent and those who took care of them during their formative years. Not many realize that all that she or he has got is due to ‘The Sat’ who always remains anonymous. ‘The Sat’ has given us brain to think and arrive at the truth. Yet individuals live and the level of instincts like animals and understand only that which is tangible. The contribution of the abstract entity which is not tangible i.e. ‘The Sat’ does not enter their thinking. It is for this reason Guru Sahib has called such individuals ‘stupid’.
Using our brain we are supposed to progressively learn higher and higher truths. Only then we can be called different from animals, which beyond their instincts are stupid.
Guru Sahib tells his Sikhs that all that we have received in our lives is due to ‘The Sat’ the tangible entities, mother, father, brother, sisters and others are only instruments through which the gifts where channelised by ‘The Sat’. We must keep in mind that what has come to us is through individuals and not from them – the ultimate source in only ‘The Sat’.
3. jw kI syvw nv iniD pwvY ] jaa kee sayvaa nav niDh paavai.
Serving ‘The Sat’, the nine treasures are realized.

4. qw isau mUVw mnu nhI lwvY ] taa si-o moorhaa man nahee laavai.
Insensitive mind does not attach to ‘The Sat’.

My Understanding:
Guru Sahib tells his Sikhs that sensitivity is needed to realize the higher truth. As I understand all this is due the way we are brought up during our childhood - the formative years.
We are totally innocent at the time of birth. As we come to this world, our interaction with the tangible starts immediately. We learn about the world around us through our senses. All this is directed towards the tangibles entities of this world. A special coaching is needed to bring to our mind that there is world beyond the tangibles. This realization has to be tutored – mostly it has to be done by the mothers and the environment in which the child grows. Few individuals, blessed by ‘The Sat’, in a natural course of life, learn that there is an invisible hand leading, guiding and supporting them. When strange coincidences of events in life help them to live better, they realise that it is due to some entity beyond them i.e. ‘The Sat’.
Such realization does not come to individuals who do not have the needed sensitivities; they pass over this realization by calling it ‘Luck’ and thus miss it.
Guru Sahib here in these sentences is asking his Sikhs to acquire this sensitivity.
Here again Guru Sahib has used a word ‘Serving’ in conjunction with ‘The Sat’. ‘The Sat’ is self sufficient, does not need any thing, as said in ‘Mool Mantra’, in addition ‘The Sat’ is intangible. How can an individual serve ‘The Sat’? This needs to be understood.
The way to serve ‘The Sat’ is to work in the direction ‘The Sat’ works and become instrument of the will of ‘The Sat’. Now we have to understand what the will of ‘The Sat’ is?
As I see, since the beginning of creation there has been continuous evolution among humans. Human body has evolved and so has been the evolution of brain and understanding of forces of nature. This would not have happened if ‘The Sat’ did not wish it. It has not happened in any significant way in case of animals and plants, it has happened only with humans. Based on this observation, I understand that continuous and harmonious evolution is all domains, is the will of ‘The Sat’. This fact is enshrined in the term ‘Chardian Kalan’ in Sikh way of living. We, Sikhs are asked by our Guru Sahib to evolve in all spheres – spiritual and temporal world, not only this we Sikhs are asked by Guru Sahib to protect the environment ( as I understand from the Shalok just after Japji Sahib in Sri Guru Granth Sahib). Harmonizing the two aspects of life – spiritual and temporal – perpetually striving to evolve and protecting the creation of ‘The Sat’, according to me, is acting in accordance to the will of ‘The Sat’ and hence serving the cause of ‘The Sat’, which means serving ‘The Sat’.
5. jo Twkuru sd sdw hjUry ] jo thaakur sad sadaa hajooray.
The protector-provider is always present, for ever and ever

6. qw kau AMDw jwnq dUry ] taa ka-o anDhaa jaanat dooray.
The blind (ignorant) take it to be far away.

My Understanding:
Guru Sahib tells his Sikhs that ‘The Sat’ is ever present with each one of us. Yet those ignorant people keep searching as if ‘The Sat’ is far way at place which is beyond them. As I understand, Guru Sahib is saying that ‘The Sat’ is every where in all living and non living entities; ‘The Sat’ even exist even where there is no material. Individual instead of realizing ‘The Sat’ which is ever present in themselves wander around locating places where ‘The Sat’ can be found. This state if understand Guru Sahib has referred to as blindness.
7. jw kI thl pwvY drgh mwnu ] jaa kee tahal paavai dargeh maan.
In whose service one gets spiritual elevation

8. iqsih ibswrY mugDu Ajwnu ] tiseh bisaarai mugaDh ajaan.
Such entity the captivated ignorant forget.

My Understanding:
Guru Sahib tells his Sikhs that individuals are captivated by worldly entities and all their time goes in realizing the satisfaction of senses and ego, these are Mugadh individual who are lost in worldly life; they remain ignorant about the spiritual life. In this state of mind they totally forget ‘The Sat’ who has supported them all their life and who can bring about spiritual elevation.
9. sdw sdw iehu BUlnhwru ] sadaa sadaa ih bhoolanhaar.
Always, always this one makes this mistake of forgetting ‘The Sat’.

10. nwnk rwKnhwru Apwru ]3] naanak raakhanhaar apaar. ||3||
O’ Nanak, the sustainer is limitless

My Understanding:
Guru Sahib tells his audience that with all this erroneous living still the sustainer i.e. ‘The Sat’ does not give up. ‘The Sat’ always remains with each one of its creation and supports it. Guru Sahib is deeply awed by this graciousness of ‘The Sat’.
With this I close.
With love and respect for all.
Amarpal Singh

Jul 10, 2006

7. jw kI thl pwvY drgh mwnu ] jaa kee tahal paavai dargeh maan.
In whose service one gets spiritual elevation

8. iqsih ibswrY mugDu Ajwnu ] tiseh bisaarai mugaDh ajaan.
Such entity the captivated ignorant forget.

My Understanding:
Guru Sahib tells his Sikhs that individuals are captivated by worldly entities and all their time goes in realizing the satisfaction of senses and ego, these are Mugadh individual who are lost in worldly life; they remain ignorant about the spiritual life. In this state of mind they totally forget ‘The Sat’ who has supported them all their life and who can bring about spiritual elevation.
9. sdw sdw iehu BUlnhwru ] sadaa sadaa ih bhoolanhaar.
Always, always this one makes this mistake of forgetting ‘The Sat’.

10. nwnk rwKnhwru Apwru ]3] naanak raakhanhaar apaar. ||3||
O’ Nanak, the sustainer is limitless

My Understanding:
Guru Sahib tells his audience that with all this erroneous living still the sustainer i.e. ‘The Sat’ does not give up. ‘The Sat’ always remains with each one of its creation and supports it. Guru Sahib is deeply awed by this graciousness of ‘The Sat’.
With this I close.
Amarpal Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

What if a person has waheguroo on her/his mind most of time. And what if this person watches quit a bit of TV programs at night and sometimes so engrossed in them that he/she forgets Waheguroo for a time?

I hope this is not too silly a question.

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Kaur-1 Ji,

Initial what you have said will happen. As one progresses and persists with Jaap. The thought space occupied by films will be vacated and replaced by 'Naam'. This I am telling you from my personal experience. Walking on the road I suddenly realise that Jaap is going on in my mind though I had not triggered this process consciously. The same happens the moment I wake up from my sleep.

It all depends on how much you get involved with Jaap.

One must esperience life as it is, including films, participate in social life and lives one's full life, yet learn to remain unattached. It is the attachment that creates pain and suffering.

Amarpal Singh

Dimitri

SPNer
May 4, 2006
Thats very much the case with me Amarpal.
Going to work on the train all the sudden i remember the supreme being.
what is it that i am remebering? its not some face, i can't describe what it is. Its just the felling of yes there is supreme, creator of cosmos. The assurance within that God exists.

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Dimitri Ji,

The intensity of what you are experiencing will keep increasing as you start feeling that 'The Sat' is in and around you, you will have this experience with greater frequency. The reason for this increase is simple; your brain is getting tuned more and more toward 'The Sat'. As I understand, the 'Dasam Dwar' is in the brain; it is the door through which humans reach and experience 'The Sat'.

Amarpal Singh

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Respected Saadh Sangat Ji,

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Nanak Dev Ji describes in japuji Sahib Pauri 20:

puMnI pwpI, AwKxu nwih ]
kir kir krxw, iliK lY jwhu ]

RRepeated actions(good/bad) are engraved on our soul.
The reflection of what we do over and over again turns into a habit. Every moment counts.

And as in Siri Sukhmani Sahib Ji:

pRB kw ismrnu sB qy aUcw ] pRB kY ismrin auDry mUcw ]

So use every available moment to remind yourself of the Greatest of All. The more one does the more one turns into Purity/Sat/Truth.

As Respected Amarpal Ji is saying:
'It all depends on how much you get involved with Jaap.'

One day will come that a movie is going on or a upbeat song is being played, but within you Naam Simran will be so clear and consistent that nothing will be able to bother you.

As Bhagat Kabir Ji Says:
rwm rsu pIAw ry ] ijh rs, ibsir gey rs Aaur ]

That's why whenever we remember God/Waheguru/Almighty, that moment is the precious of all. Do it as much as possible(with true heart and mind).

Also remember Dhan Dhan Siri Guru nanak Dev Ji Says:
scu qw pru jwxIAY jw irdY scw hoie ]

Waheguru Sadaa Sahaaee........

karan099

SPNer
Oct 24, 2006
Mohali
VGJKK VGJKF to all

Surinder kaur u r doing a great job.wat u r doing is wounderful we all need this to understand.Yours guidance will work out definately.

Thnx

Jul 10, 2006
Respected Saadh Sangat Ji,

Dhan Dhan Siri Guru Nanak Dev Ji describes in japuji Sahib Pauri 20:

puMnI pwpI, AwKxu nwih ]
kir kir krxw, iliK lY jwhu ]

RRepeated actions(good/bad) are engraved on our soul.
The reflection of what we do over and over again turns into a habit. Every moment counts.

And as in Siri Sukhmani Sahib Ji:

pRB kw ismrnu sB qy aUcw ] pRB kY ismrin auDry mUcw ]

So use every available moment to remind yourself of the Greatest of All. The more one does the more one turns into Purity/Sat/Truth.

As Respected Amarpal Ji is saying:
'It all depends on how much you get involved with Jaap.'

One day will come that a movie is going on or a upbeat song is being played, but within you Naam Simran will be so clear and consistent that nothing will be able to bother you.

As Bhagat Kabir Ji Says:
rwm rsu pIAw ry ] ijh rs, ibsir gey rs Aaur ]

That's why whenever we remember God/Waheguru/Almighty, that moment is the precious of all. Do it as much as possible(with true heart and mind).

Also remember Dhan Dhan Siri Guru nanak Dev Ji Says:
scu qw pru jwxIAY jw irdY scw hoie ]

Waheguru Sadaa Sahaaee........

Thank you all.
Unfortunately I dont sit quietly and naam jaap , it just happens in my mind as i am doing my everyday chores etc. even watching TV(not the whole length of the TV program of course!:cool: as mentioned above in my post) naam (ie thoughs of waheguroo satnam) comes back.
Because i love listening to shabad kirtan, this plays in my mind when i am awake or just got up and probably in my sleep too.
As they say, is you want to solve a problem, sleep on it. So the brain replays the concentrated thoughts of daytime in ones sleep.

Sangat jio, what about this question posted in http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/14408-nitnem-banis-rushing-thru-them.html

Waheguroo ji Ka Khalsa Waheguroo ji Ki Fateh

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Re: 3rd Pauri: 4th Ashtpadi: Sukhmani Sahib: My Understanding

Dear Kaur Ji,

One must continue with the Jaap, no matter whatever physical condition or state of mind is. On cannot be perfect right from the beginning. One must continue with the Jaap, rest will be taken care by 'The Sat'. There is always an element of 'Gurparsadi'.

Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM