• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

30 Day Amrit Vela - Introducing A New Member Blog

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
First my comments, in combination with those of Gyani ji and Tejwant Singh ji, cover a wide range of concerns about "a-thons" in Sikhi. I might add that "thons" are usually associated with fund-raisers or with working up mass enthusiasm for a cause. Amrit vela is about neither. The other aspect of this is in the title, "who's in?" That part reminds me of how we invite people to a "pick up" game of football, or even a sports pool.

you can take the 30 days off...and the 'who's in'...it was only to denote a 'get up and lets try' attitude to the title...feels like every word has been dissected and exploded somehow :) and the message behind the thread completely missed...I didn't say anything along the lines of lets do 30 days and your worries will disappear...or god will appear before you.

I will start a new thread with a more appropriate title

On the other hand -- some members may be motivated in their spiritual discipline if they are part of a group and can share experiences.

Meaning of Sangat surely :)

I recommend that SPN members who wish to participate contact you by private message. You can start an amrit vela blog in our Member Blogs section. When members contact you then you can direct them to the blog link where they would want to go. The blog would operate like a private group of like-minded participants. It would allow you to keep conversations on topic the way you envision the experience should be. As long as Terms of Service are not violated moderation is minimal.

Would need some help with this...

but it feels wrong to move things 'behind closed doors' based on a title which wasn't meant to be taken in the way that some of you have taken it....will be more clearer in the future.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
you can take the 30 days off...and the 'who's in'...it was only to denote a 'get up and lets try' attitude to the title...feels like every word has been dissected and exploded somehow :) and the message behind the thread completely missed...I didn't say anything along the lines of lets do 30 days and your worries will disappear...or god will appear before you.

I will start a new thread with a more appropriate title

Meaning of Sangat surely :)

Would need some help with this...

but it feels wrong to move things 'behind closed doors' based on a title which wasn't meant to be taken in the way that some of you have taken it....will be more clearer in the future.

chazSingh ji

I will leave the thread open so that members who are interested know to contact you.

Member Blogs are not "behind closed doors." The tab is visible on the home page. The only difference is that non-members cannot see the blog. Anyone who is signed in can see the Blog tab and they can click on it and participate.

There are several advantages to using the Blog section.

Moderation is light; therefore, if someone want to quote a single tuk, there won't be interference with cautions to post an entire shabad, or to correct an incorrect interpretation. All that does is throw a damp rag over a conversation which does not need to occur.

You are the blog owner; therefore you control what is said. Anything that is critical, negative, or off-topic can be deleted by you.

I think the blog is the best way to keep the motivation on-going. I will send you instructions on how to start a blog, and Harry ji also can be of help with that.

SPN members who are interested should contact chazSingh through private message.

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
chazSingh ji

I will leave the thread open so that members who are interested know to contact you.

Member Blogs are not "behind closed doors." The tab is visible on the home page. The only difference is that non-members cannot see the blog. Anyone who is signed in can see the Blog tab and they can click on it and participate.

There are several advantages to using the Blog section.

Moderation is light; therefore, if someone want to quote a single tuk, there won't be interference with cautions to post an entire shabad, or to correct an incorrect interpretation. All that does is throw a damp rag over a conversation that does not need to occur.

You are the blog owner; therefore you control what is said. Anything that is critical, negative, or off-topic can be deleted by you.

I think the blog is the best way to keep the motivation on-going. I will send you instructions on how to start a blog, and Harry ji also can be of help with that.

SPN members who are interested should contact chazSingh through private message.

aahhhh..that sounds perfect...

Thanks for that...

God Bless Ji

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
aahhhh..that sounds perfect...

Thanks for that...

God Bless Ji

Sent you a private message with instructions.

p/s You can also invite people by private message. You don't have to wait to see if anyone reading the thread 3 years from now wants to sign up. That would move things along.

another p/s You would be surprised how many members actually read the blogs for enjoyment even when they do not post.

Last edited:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Maybe just maybe there is one reader out there that gets inspired.

Maybe i'm going about it in the wrong way....if you think of a more productive way, please put some ideas forward. otherwise all we're left again with is more opinion opinion opinions...when all that Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji says is:

A better way of connecting to Ik Oankaar is surely to understand and follow Gurbani? Why not set up local Gurbani groups? Understand together what is being said in SGGS and how you can apply this in your life in the long and short term.

faer k agai rakheeai jith dhisai dharabaar ||
So what offering can we place before Him, by which we might see the Darbaar of His Court?

muha k bolan boleeai jith sun dhharae piaar ||
What words can we speak to evoke His Love?

a(n)mrith vaelaa sach naao vaddiaaee veechaar ||
In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.

karamee aavai kaparraa nadharee mokh dhuaar ||
By the karma of past actions, the robe of this physical body is obtained. By His Grace, the Gate of Liberation is found.

naanak eaevai jaaneeai sabh aapae sachiaar ||4||
O Nanak, know this well: the True One Himself is All. ||4||

What point is being made here? Amritvela is not restricted to a specific time but should be all the time. For many, the mentality of I've done my puja now, thats enough prevails so this approach may do harm. If it works for you great, but it is not what Guru ji instructs us to do. Also the ambrosial hours before dawn is an incorrect translation.

Here's a shabad related to "a-thons". Please share your understanding. Ang 217. Only literal translation posted here.

ਰਾਗੁ ਗਉੜੀ ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ Raag Gourree Maajh Mehalaa 5

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ Ik Oankaar Sathigur Prasaadh ||
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਬਹੁ ਮਾਣੁ ਕਰਤੇ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਬਹੁ ਮਾਣੁ ॥ Thoon Maeraa Bahu Maan Karathae Thoon Maeraa Bahu Maan ||
I am so proud of You, O Creator; I am so proud of You.

ਜੋਰਿ ਤੁਮਾਰੈ ਸੁਖਿ ਵਸਾ ਸਚੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਨੀਸਾਣੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Jor Thumaarai Sukh Vasaa Sach Sabadh Neesaan ||1|| Rehaao ||
Through Your Almighty Power, I dwell in peace. The True Word of the Shabad is my banner and insignia. ||1||Pause||

ਸਭੇ ਗਲਾ ਜਾਤੀਆ ਸੁਣਿ ਕੈ ਚੁਪ ਕੀਆ ॥ Sabhae Galaa Jaatheeaa Sun Kai Chup Keeaa ||
He hears and knows everything, but he keeps silent.

ਕਦ ਹੀ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਨ ਲਧੀਆ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੜਿਆ ॥੧॥ Kadh Hee Surath N Ladhheeaa Maaeiaa Moharriaa ||1||
Bewitched by Maya, he never regains awareness. ||1||

ਦੇਇ ਬੁਝਾਰਤ ਸਾਰਤਾ ਸੇ ਅਖੀ ਡਿਠੜਿਆ ॥ Dhaee Bujhaarath Saarathaa Sae Akhee Dditharriaa ||

The riddles and hints are given, and he sees them with his eyes.

ਕੋਈ ਜਿ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਲੋਭੀਆ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਸੁਣੀ ਕਹਿਆ ॥੨॥ Koee J Moorakh Lobheeaa Mool N Sunee Kehiaa ||2||
But he is foolish and greedy, and he never listens to what he is told. ||2||

ਇਕਸੁ ਦੁਹੁ ਚਹੁ ਕਿਆ ਗਣੀ ਸਭ ਇਕਤੁ ਸਾਦਿ ਮੁਠੀ ॥ Eikas Dhuhu Chahu Kiaa Ganee Sabh Eikath Saadh Muthee ||
Why bother to count one, two, three, four? The whole world is defrauded by the same enticements.

ਇਕੁ ਅਧੁ ਨਾਇ ਰਸੀਅੜਾ ਕਾ ਵਿਰਲੀ ਜਾਇ ਵੁਠੀ ॥੩॥ Eik Adhh Naae Raseearraa Kaa Viralee Jaae Vuthee ||3||
Hardly anyone loves the Lord's Name; how rare is that place which is in bloom. ||3||

ਭਗਤ ਸਚੇ ਦਰਿ ਸੋਹਦੇ ਅਨਦ ਕਰਹਿ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤਿ ॥ Bhagath Sachae Dhar Sohadhae Anadh Karehi Dhin Raath |
The devotees look beautiful in the True Court; night and day, they are happy.

ਰੰਗਿ ਰਤੇ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੈ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਨ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਤ ॥੪॥੧॥੧੬੯॥ Rang Rathae Paramaesarai Jan Naanak Thin Bal Jaath ||4||1||169||
They are imbued with the Love of the Transcendent Lord; servant Nanak is a sacrifice to them. ||4||1||169||

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Amrit vela can be anytime you make it, but for most of us it is before sunrise(2am to 6am) !!!!!
WHY ????
I haven't got a clue, but if you try to meditate at this magic time compared to midday or late afternoon, then you shall notice the difference!!
Therefore, you will tell yourself, that this is what the 'amrit vela must be about'!!

The way I see it, is that you are supposed to do your nitnem DAILY, now that means banis when you rise and before you retire.
WHY ???
Because EVERYDAY within a 24 hour period we wake and sleep, no one goes a natural 72 hours and sleeps whenever they can !!!
The body tells us when we are tired and when we need to sleep.
Therefore, nitnem is incorporated into your everyday DAILY routine as part of Sikh discipline.
SO I see nothing wrong with incorporating meditation and simran time to WASH your mind of the daily accumulation of filth every day.
It just happens to be that the biological clock of the mind and body seems to respond and give more connection and anand at this time before sunrise !!
I still can't explain why, but I was disappointed this morning(I got up late!!)after 6am as I couldn't get the same anand because it was a little too noisy, bright and the atmosphere felt busy outside.
This morning the only lesson I learned and confirmation I got 'AGAIN' was that 'I would have felt better if I had got up earlier"

You can only understand if you try it with TRUE intentions.
I too, used to laugh at the discipline of nitnem and amrit vela, saying that it is some mindless ritual,- but know I seem to have a better understanding.

If you all think that I am a mindless lost soul following some Brahminised pandit puja ritual, then be it !!
I don't think Guruji had any problem with that because it is the ''application of the mind'' that is the ritual. If I were applying empty physical applications like lighting a diva or sitting on a certain mat, then Guruji would have had a problem, since that would be 'mindless'
Only I can confirm to self what makes me closer and how I feel the bliss of the Lord.

I am not a Sikh with khes trying to connect and find myself with creator. But I am loser that felt a connection(via meditation) and is now keeping a khes and becoming a Sikh.

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
A better way of connecting to Ik Oankaar is surely to understand and follow Gurbani? Why not set up local Gurbani groups? Understand together what is being said in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and how you can apply this in your life in the long and short term.

I agree, but Gurbani came from beyond the mind...the mind cannot comprehend it all nor understand it. one has to eventually climb mount Everest to experience the climb. I think we agree there...it's just the methods we seem to disagree...

But in this thread I clearly stated at the start to implement your own view of amrit vela ... but everyone seems have to have responded in a reflex action i.e. parroting, mindless rituals etc etc

What point is being made here? Amritvela is not restricted to a specific time but should be all the time. For many, the mentality of I've done my puja now, thats enough prevails so this approach may do harm. If it works for you great, but it is not what Guru ji instructs us to do. Also the ambrosial hours before dawn is an incorrect translation.

you're just assuming that everyone is just mindlessly dong things...and get no results, and just assume that they think they've done their bit...

not everyone does that.

Yes Amrit Vela is anytime...especially when gurbani describes the state of highly spiritual souls...but for the rest of us...well for me anyway the morning hours are something else...I cannot describe it.

Anyhow...if for the 99.9% of the population who are engulfed in ego, anger, desire, greed and attachment, Guru Ji obviously felt the need to assign a name or label to such a time...otherwise why would you need to describe it?

it's like saying "the best time to meditate is in the daylight" when all that exists is the daylight 24 hours a day?

Here's a shabad related to "a-thons". Please share your understanding. Ang 217. Only literal translation posted here.

ਰਾਗੁ ਗਉੜੀ ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ Raag Gourree Maajh Mehalaa 5

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥ Ik Oankaar Sathigur Prasaadh ||
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਬਹੁ ਮਾਣੁ ਕਰਤੇ ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਬਹੁ ਮਾਣੁ ॥ Thoon Maeraa Bahu Maan Karathae Thoon Maeraa Bahu Maan ||
I am so proud of You, O Creator; I am so proud of You.

ਜੋਰਿ ਤੁਮਾਰੈ ਸੁਖਿ ਵਸਾ ਸਚੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਨੀਸਾਣੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ Jor Thumaarai Sukh Vasaa Sach Sabadh Neesaan ||1|| Rehaao ||
Through Your Almighty Power, I dwell in peace. The True Word of the Shabad is my banner and insignia. ||1||Pause||

ਸਭੇ ਗਲਾ ਜਾਤੀਆ ਸੁਣਿ ਕੈ ਚੁਪ ਕੀਆ ॥ Sabhae Galaa Jaatheeaa Sun Kai Chup Keeaa ||
He hears and knows everything, but he keeps silent.

ਕਦ ਹੀ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਨ ਲਧੀਆ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੜਿਆ ॥੧॥ Kadh Hee Surath N Ladhheeaa Maaeiaa Moharriaa ||1||
Bewitched by Maya, he never regains awareness. ||1||

ਦੇਇ ਬੁਝਾਰਤ ਸਾਰਤਾ ਸੇ ਅਖੀ ਡਿਠੜਿਆ ॥ Dhaee Bujhaarath Saarathaa Sae Akhee Dditharriaa ||

The riddles and hints are given, and he sees them with his eyes.

ਕੋਈ ਜਿ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਲੋਭੀਆ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਸੁਣੀ ਕਹਿਆ ॥੨॥ Koee J Moorakh Lobheeaa Mool N Sunee Kehiaa ||2||
But he is foolish and greedy, and he never listens to what he is told. ||2||

ਇਕਸੁ ਦੁਹੁ ਚਹੁ ਕਿਆ ਗਣੀ ਸਭ ਇਕਤੁ ਸਾਦਿ ਮੁਠੀ ॥ Eikas Dhuhu Chahu Kiaa Ganee Sabh Eikath Saadh Muthee ||
Why bother to count one, two, three, four? The whole world is defrauded by the same enticements.

ਇਕੁ ਅਧੁ ਨਾਇ ਰਸੀਅੜਾ ਕਾ ਵਿਰਲੀ ਜਾਇ ਵੁਠੀ ॥੩॥ Eik Adhh Naae Raseearraa Kaa Viralee Jaae Vuthee ||3||
Hardly anyone loves the Lord's Name; how rare is that place which is in bloom. ||3||

ਭਗਤ ਸਚੇ ਦਰਿ ਸੋਹਦੇ ਅਨਦ ਕਰਹਿ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤਿ ॥ Bhagath Sachae Dhar Sohadhae Anadh Karehi Dhin Raath |
The devotees look beautiful in the True Court; night and day, they are happy.

ਰੰਗਿ ਰਤੇ ਪਰਮੇਸਰੈ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਨ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਤ ॥੪॥੧॥੧੬੯॥ Rang Rathae Paramaesarai Jan Naanak Thin Bal Jaath ||4||1||169||
They are imbued with the Love of the Transcendent Lord; servant Nanak is a sacrifice to them. ||4||1||169||[/QUOTE]

For me anyway this describes the state of highly spiritual souls who have become one with god...Gurbani clearly describes stages of the evolution of the soul from being ego conscious and ingulfed in duality ... to a soul that have lifted the veil and realised absolute reality, the true self.

one the 'a' thon statement....I agree...it wasn't meant to be a 30 day 'Fix' it for people...it was just to see if there were any readers who have been wanting to do Amrit Vela and I thought maybe we can take the journey together for a short while...as I feel a true Sangat should be all about.

but of course the journey is a lifetime :) ... we all know that

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Amrit vela can be anytime you make it, but for most of us it is before sunrise(2am to 6am) !!!!!
WHY ????
I haven't got a clue, but if you try to meditate at this magic time compared to midday or late afternoon, then you shall notice the difference!!
Therefore, you will tell yourself, that this is what the 'amrit vela must be about'!!

The way I see it, is that you are supposed to do your nitnem DAILY, now that means banis when you rise and before you retire.
WHY ???
Because EVERYDAY within a 24 hour period we wake and sleep, no one goes a natural 72 hours and sleeps whenever they can !!!
The body tells us when we are tired and when we need to sleep.
Therefore, nitnem is incorporated into your everyday DAILY routine as part of Sikh discipline.
SO I see nothing wrong with incorporating meditation and simran time to WASH your mind of the daily accumulation of filth every day.
It just happens to be that the biological clock of the mind and body seems to respond and give more connection and anand at this time before sunrise !!
I still can't explain why, but I was disappointed this morning(I got up late!!)after 6am as I couldn't get the same anand because it was a little too noisy, bright and the atmosphere felt busy outside.
This morning the only lesson I learned and confirmation I got 'AGAIN' was that 'I would have felt better if I had got up earlier"

You can only understand if you try it with TRUE intentions.
I too, used to laugh at the discipline of nitnem and amrit vela, saying that it is some mindless ritual,- but know I seem to have a better understanding.

If you all think that I am a mindless lost soul following some Brahminised pandit puja ritual, then be it !!
I don't think Guruji had any problem with that because it is the ''application of the mind'' that is the ritual. If I were applying empty physical applications like lighting a diva or sitting on a certain mat, then Guruji would have had a problem, since that would be 'mindless'
Only I can confirm to self what makes me closer and how I feel the bliss of the Lord.

I am not a Sikh with khes trying to connect and find myself with creator. But I am loser that felt a connection(via meditation) and is now keeping a khes and becoming a Sikh.

It is because I read posts like this that I tried to maybe inspire others to try Amrit vela...be it anytime.

I can't explain it either, but I get the same feeling when I sleep through and wake up late. I can sit for 2-3 hours doing Simran through the day and its amazing...During the early hours, time just doesn't have the same impact on the mind...the experience is more intense.

i'm sure highly blessed Gursikhs are in a state of anand 24/7 ... a state of Simran 24 hours a day..Gurbani describes this.

for the rest of us fools (me)...It seems Sri Guru Nanak had to define a period / time for the best results .... otherwise why create a term/word for it?

Anyhow God Bless ... and keep inspiring fools like me.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
if you are going to participate in the Amrit Vel a thon, please plan to post your comments on the blog that chazSingh is going to create. Please contact him by private message to be part of the discussion.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Amrit Vela on moon? Only once a month?

It seems the creator of the babiha blog is part of a Gurbani discussion group as suggested by findingmyway ji!

http://babiha.blogspot.com/2008/07/amrit-vela-on-moon-only-once-month.html

Last friday 27th June 2008, we discussed 6th Pauree of Maajh ki Vaar, in which there was a mention of special techniques, auspicious Dates and times to do special tasks/ prayers etc people do to recite LORD's name. As usual, I raised a query that the usual conception of "Meditating and sitting before dawn and chanting GOD's physical(?) name" would also be called under the same technique, and doing special task at special time??

You would have got the word by now "Amrit Vela"

We were a group of 6-7, and later discussed this at Dunkin Donuts, our usual hangout place after Friday Youth Deewan, and these words came out through a friend inadvertently, and emphasized on its importance.

Now, the thing is like everybody has a different perspective of a word, and we cannot impose our opinion to others, but still we can learn better in a group.

For a different perspective, let us see that generally for everybody 10 + 10 = 20, but if somebody, say person "X" starts saying 10 + 10 = 100, we would say either "X" doesn't know math or is an idiot... But... what if "X" knows a different Math called Binary calculations, in which 10 means 2, and 100 means 4!! So, as per general Math, 2+2=4, which is true! For my personal preference, I like Binary, as it doesn't have gray areas, and only has YES (1) or NO (0)!

Guru Sahib taught us to be aware everytime, and try to see what other is saying. This could be a possibility that whatever is prevailing could be another illusion?

Ok, let us come to the topic again...

I went through Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha's mahankosh (punjabi dictionary) and Prof. Sahib Singh's writings, and they too mentions that Amrit Vela means

The time of the clock before sunrise
The time of freedom

Now, I personally like the latter, but the prevailing meaning is the prior one...

I searched for "Amrit Vela" in Guru Granth Sahib, and found only 3 shabads (please correct if I am wrong):

Note: I suggest you use this link to Guru Granth Darpan in readable fonts http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/darpan_pdf.html instead of the links given in the article/spnadmin

1. Amrit Vela, Sach Naao, Vadeyai Veechar (Pg.2) http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/0002.html Here it means the time of full blossom, the time of enlightenment

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
Amriṯ velā sacẖ nā▫o vadi▫ā▫ī vīcẖār.
In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.
Ang 2

2. Amrit Velae Vatay Har Bhagti, Har Liv Laayi (Pg 734) http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/0734.html Here, in the meanings, he meant "the early time of spiritual life"

ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਰਤਨੁ ਜਵੇਹਰੁ ਮਾਣਕੁ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਵਤੈ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤੀ ਹਰਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਈ ॥
Har ḏẖan raṯan javehar māṇak har ḏẖanai nāl amriṯ velai vaṯai har bẖagṯī har liv lā▫ī.
The Lord's wealth is like jewels, gems and rubies. At the appointed time in the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours of the morning, the Lord's devotees lovingly center their attention on the Lord, and the wealth of the Lord.
Ang 734

3. Babiha Amrit Velae boleya http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/1285.html Here Prof Sahib means the dawn, but I know that Brain Fever bird or Babiha, shrieks all day and night before monsoon.

ਬਾਬੀਹਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਬੋਲਿਆ ਤਾਂ ਦਰਿ ਸੁਣੀ ਪੁਕਾਰ ॥
Bābīhā amriṯ velai boli▫ā ṯāʼn ḏar suṇī pukār.
The rainbird chirps in the ambrosial hours of the morning before the dawn; its prayers are heard in the Court of the Lord.
Ang 1285

More, by Shaikh Fareed ji http://www.gurugranthdarpan.com/darpan2/1383.html Fareeda, pichhal raat na jaageyoh, jeevadro muyeoh"
Could this mean the dawn of the life, instead of usual day's dawn??

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਪਿਛਲ ਰਾਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਗਿਓਹਿ ਜੀਵਦੜੋ ਮੁਇਓਹਿ ॥
Farīḏā picẖẖal rāṯ na jāgi▫ohi jīvaḏ▫ṛo mu▫i▫ohi.
Fareed, if you do not awaken in the early hours before dawn, you are dead while yet alive.
Ang 1383

Since, I am trying to look at every angle and then finding the Truth, so that it cannot be shaken from any angle, let us go in Science now...

Usual meaning of Amrit Vela is dependent on Sun, and earth's rotation around sun, so that wherever sun-rises, the usual day-timers can do their tasks. This theory doesn't satisfy Night-time workers, say 8pm-6am workers. A truck driver cannot stop his truck on highway to do NAAM SIMRAN for 45mins at 2:45am, because 4am the sun will rise??This theory also doesn't satisfy the Astronauts! They would be looking at sun all the time for few days!!

The moon's rotation is such that it doesn't look like rotating at all, as we always see same side of moon towards earth. This is because the speed of moon's orbit and revolution is same! Now, when the astronauts (or future earthlings) settle down on moon, which time would they follow? Earth's or Moon's?? If they follow Moon's, the amrit vela will come once a Lunar month.

What will you do??

This theory is breaking up at Science, social living, spiritual love etc...

TRUTH never breaks...

I never say that I know what is Amrit Vela, but I am definitely convinced that prevailing meaning of Amrit Vela is not what it means!!

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh!

Last edited:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Islam has the AZAN..which is essentially..Hey get up...its time...collective wakening..and maybe soemone who slept through will feel..Oh i slept through yesterday..maybe i will get up today...kind of what the Thon thingy...

Well in GURMATT its not that way. There are No Azans, public calls to wake up..and no Thons...its One to One...

A Good student studies daily...and there is no need for the teachers to organize...a THON-o-Study for 30 days before the EXAM...a Good Sikh is a Good STUDENT...not the type to wait for Thons or last minute exam cramming sessions or PUBLIC CALLS to study ..???:winkingkudi:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Gyani ji

How do you place the SRM's instruction to rise in the morning before the sun?

Meditating on Nam (Divine Substance) and Scriptures
Article IV
1. A Sikh should wake up in the ambrosial hours (three hours before the dawn), take bath and, concentrating his/her thoughts on One Immortal Being, repeat the name Waheguru (Wondrous Destroyer of darkness).

http://sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_one.html

Regardless of how we feel about it, the SGPC instructs Sikhs to do it.

Thanks

EDIT: I'd also be interested to know what the Punjabi says. Does it just say 'amrit vela' or does it say the rest (three hours before the dawn)? Many thanks

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Chazji

I am afraid I have let you down, I failed miserably.

I woke up at 3.30, seemed like a good time and within the range specified. My wife was still sleeping, I gazed at her face for a while, she still is the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes on, it made me happy to look at her, Dan, my dog, sensing I was awake, came over for a cuddle, at which point the cat, jumped on the bed for a stroke.

Reluctant as I was to leave this perfect scene, I got up and had a wash, and went to my office downstairs, well, I call it an office, it has a computer in it that does not work, and lots of old stock, I passed the puppies room and could not resist going in to say hello, they jumped up and kissed me, I nuzzled them both, and then sat in my office.

Ok, here goes, I did as you said, I blocked out all thoughts and just concentrated on God, but I could not, my mind was racing through all the issues of the day, the laptop that would not take the graphics driver, the sony that I had been sent the wrong keyboard, Sians cars MOT, Rory the puppy's bad nature, how sweet little Bran puppy is, but I persevered, and tried to forget all these things and focus on God, I am afraid after ten minutes, maybe I did not give it enough time, I started trying to solve my problems using only the truth as a guide, what would Guruji do in my place, how would he solve them, instead I started to plan the day, how could I live today in the spirit of Bani, what facets could I take on to assist me that were Sikh like, it felt lonely downstairs, feeling a complete let down, I trudged back upstairs, let the puppies out on the way, and we all sat on the bed, everyone dozing, I sat up and surveyed the scene, 3 dogs all half asleep, Rory with one eye open looking full of mischief, Virgil the cat licking Dans head, they were all positioned around Sian, who in the middle of all this looked so peaceful and in bliss, I finished off my plans for the day in bed and eventually fell asleep in the middle,

Sorry friend, I did try............

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Gyani ji

How do you place the SRM's instruction to rise in the morning before the sun?

http://sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_one.html

Regardless of how we feel about it, the SGPC instructs Sikhs to do it.

Thanks

EDIT: I'd also be interested to know what the Punjabi says. Does it just say 'amrit vela' or does it say the rest (three hours before the dawn)? Many thanks

we have copy of SRM here - pdf format
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-...nload-sikh-rehat-maryada-punjabi-english.html

it does say AMRIT VELA and in brackets ( Last Quarter of Night).
BUT this definition of AMRIT VELA is NOT as per SGGS. No where in SGGS is it said that a certain fixed time/hour is Amrit Vela..

And by the way i myself get up daily at 2.30 am for my bath, parkash of sggs, daily paath of five Banis etc. Practically its the BEST time as its quiet and peaceful. BUT I NEVER ENFORCE this on others by QUALIFYING IT as SGGS instruction/order/command etc. ITS NOT so. Its a Personal decision.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Chazji

I am afraid I have let you down, I failed miserably.

I woke up at 3.30, seemed like a good time and within the range specified. My wife was still sleeping, I gazed at her face for a while, she still is the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes on, it made me happy to look at her, Dan, my dog, sensing I was awake, came over for a cuddle, at which point the cat, jumped on the bed for a stroke.

Reluctant as I was to leave this perfect scene, I got up and had a wash, and went to my office downstairs, well, I call it an office, it has a computer in it that does not work, and lots of old stock, I passed the puppies room and could not resist going in to say hello, they jumped up and kissed me, I nuzzled them both, and then sat in my office.

Ok, here goes, I did as you said, I blocked out all thoughts and just concentrated on God, but I could not, my mind was racing through all the issues of the day, the laptop that would not take the graphics driver, the sony that I had been sent the wrong keyboard, Sians cars MOT, Rory the puppy's bad nature, how sweet little Bran puppy is, but I persevered, and tried to forget all these things and focus on God, I am afraid after ten minutes, maybe I did not give it enough time, I started trying to solve my problems using only the truth as a guide, what would Guruji do in my place, how would he solve them, instead I started to plan the day, how could I live today in the spirit of Bani, what facets could I take on to assist me that were Sikh like, it felt lonely downstairs, feeling a complete let down, I trudged back upstairs, let the puppies out on the way, and we all sat on the bed, everyone dozing, I sat up and surveyed the scene, 3 dogs all half asleep, Rory with one eye open looking full of mischief, Virgil the cat licking Dans head, they were all positioned around Sian, who in the middle of all this looked so peaceful and in bliss, I finished off my plans for the day in bed and eventually fell asleep in the middle,

Sorry friend, I did try............

Satnaam Harry Ji my friend.

You did one better than me...i awoke at 4am, and my mind got the better of me and i fell asleep to my excuses...

if nothing else, at least you were aware that even in the silence of the night the mind keeps going and going .... when does a person ever get to just 'be' and not have some moments where these thoughts aren't burdening us?

you got up, you contemplated as much as you could...and now you're aware of a time in the night when you can have a bit of silence whenever you need it.

god bless ji, and thanks for giving it a go... don't give up on it though :)

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
we have copy of SRM here - pdf format
http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-...nload-sikh-rehat-maryada-punjabi-english.html

it does say AMRIT VELA and in brackets ( Last Quarter of Night).
BUT this definition of AMRIT VELA is NOT as per Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. No where in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is it said that a certain fixed time/hour is Amrit Vela..

And by the way i myself get up daily at 2.30 am for my bath, parkash of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, daily paath of five Banis etc. Practically its the BEST time as its quiet and peaceful. BUT I NEVER ENFORCE this on others by QUALIFYING IT as Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji instruction/order/command etc. ITS NOT so. Its a Personal decision.

I dont't think anyone in this discussion has stated that it is the 'only' time to do you bani, simran, meditation? Most of the discussion seems to be on personal experience and to be pro-active and try it at various times and see how you feel.

In the above responses, people have stated they have tried simran, bani etc at various times of the day (because god is with us always and in all directions), but they have found certain times to be a little more connective, a little more something than at other times..

and that's exactly what you've stated ji :)

It's the same with me... On saturday i did simran at a quiet moment during the day at the Gurdwara. It was beautiful...an hour of me and Guru Time.

Sunday night i did my Simran between 2am and 5am - again it was beautiful - but at this stage of my bandgi, this particular time i feel almost physically and spiritually more connected to god 'within' because i'm a little more able to shut out the outside world and it's worries.

The purpose of this thread was just to get people thinking, "maybe i can with the support of others in the sangat also start to do a daily nitnem, simran, meditation" and to discuss the initial journey with each other and form a good foundation to then continue for the rest of our lives...many are already doing this...but just for the few that are probably sitting on the fence (as i was once) :)

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
initially everything starts off with goals, something to work towards, a finish line of some sorts...

Maybe i'm going about it in the wrong way....if you think of a more productive way, please put some ideas forward. otherwise all we're left again with is more opinion opinion opinions...when all that Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji says is:

faer k agai rakheeai jith dhisai dharabaar ||
So what offering can we place before Him, by which we might see the Darbaar of His Court?

muha k bolan boleeai jith sun dhharae piaar ||
What words can we speak to evoke His Love?

a(n)mrith vaelaa sach naao vaddiaaee veechaar ||

karamee aavai kaparraa nadharee mokh dhuaar ||
By the karma of past actions, the robe of this physical body is obtained. By His Grace, the Gate of Liberation is found.

naanak eaevai jaaneeai sabh aapae sachiaar ||4||
O Nanak, know this well: the True One Himself is All. ||4||

On another thread I was trying to decode the meaning of above pauree. The traditional understandings of this pauree was what should I offer to see His darbar? Very few people know the meaning of darbar and why word darbar is written.. Since God is all over, does it mean He has left His darbar somewhere in seventh sky for us to search? As a result of this you go to any gurdwara and see various offerings like, fruit, sweets, rumalas and money etc. I don't mind when all these things are offered but only to serve the devotees/guests and not taken as offerings to akal purakh. We have built a gap between offerings to sangat and akal purakh and thus forget the real message. Until I realized what is mine and what is the stumbling block between me and creator? It is my ego. And Guru sahib in continuance to the first question is asking me now to 'phair' shift your paradigm(from manh ki matt to Guru ki matt) and surrender your ego to inculcate the divine philosophy of gurbani. To live as per the essence of gurbani is called surrender and this is the foremost condition.

By simply speaking something can one obtain His love? No - Gurmat does not teach these short-cut hypocrate mantars? If it was true then guru sahib wouldn;t have said, 'jin manh hor mukh hor si kandai kachia - are false. It is to manifest sweet nature, infinite expression of love, action from inner voice which obtains oneness and love of God, and 'amrit vela sach nao - and that state of mind is true 'amrit vela - the ultimate truth where one understand the game of vikars and its effect on our body. Thereafter with nectar of baani, one does not die spirituaslly and lives for ever. When I am full of love, humble and soft spoken - off course with innovative mind, it is the expression and language of God. As per my understanding, 'by living like this whole of my life will be amrit velya.

Let us make our life worth by inventing something new for the betterment of humanity as 'avar kaaj tere kitai n kaam none of these rituals are worth anything, 'mil sadhsanghat - over here sadhsanghat is not number of people but our beautiful body thus keep all your body parts fit and bhaj keval naam - invent something new for the betterment of humanity and aapsi bhaichara by contemplating on the divine message.

best regards
sahni

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: