• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

21 Ways To Help A Friend In Crisis

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
21 Ways to Help a Friend in Crisis
By Gail Brenner, Ph.D. - licensed psychologist

Life is so rich in offering us a vast array of situations and circumstances, some more challenging than others. When you are in the position to comfort a friend in crisis, you have been given a wonderful opportunity to express your love and caring.
For some of us, supporting people going through a difficult time can be confusing or awkward, no matter how much we want to be present for them. Below are some suggestions that might be helpful. Not all of these will apply to every situation, so use them only if they feel appropriate.

1. Make contact. When you find out that someone you know is going through a crisis and you want to support them, make contact. Call, email, offer to visit. People in crisis often feel alone and alienated and appreciate when others reach out to them.
  2. Listen to the story. At the beginning stages of a crisis, everyone needs to tell their story in their own time. Telling the story is one of the cornerstones of psychological treatment for trauma. The job of the friend is to listen and communicate concern and understanding.
  3. Be there emotionally. Think of yourself as a vessel filled with love and support that you are offering out. Keep your personal stories to yourself, along with any judgments or criticisms you might have.
  4. You probably don't know how your friend feels. Be careful about saying, "I know how you feel." When people are reeling from their own feelings, they think that you can't possibly understand their experience.
  5. Don't push. People in crisis can feel completely out of control and can benefit from making choices. Rather than insisting on a course of action, offer your friend some options to select from. Even simple ones matter, as in, "Would you like to go now or later?"
  6. Help make decisions. On the other hand, you might notice that your friend is easily confused and has difficulty making even small decisions. In this case, you might consider stepping in and offering guidance, as in, "I think we should....now. Let's do it together."
  7. Offer practical help. Suggest tasks you might take on such as making calls or doing errands. Be observant to see what is needed, and ask if you can assist. Especially focus on what children involved may require.
  8. Bring food. Eating is one of the first things to go in a crisis (along with sleep). Have nourishing food available so that your friend is more likely to continue eating regular meals.
  9. Know that emotion comes in waves. There are no rules about how people should react to crises. Your friend may feel numb, intensely emotional, or anywhere in between. All reactions are valid and understandable, even laughter. Emotions often appear in waves - they come and go. Be there as a support no matter what your friend is feeling.
  10. Let your friend cry. Recognize if you are uncomfortable with the level of your friend's emotions. Take a breath, and fill your vessel with love and support. Try to be with the emotions without stifling them. Your friend will eventually stop crying.
  11. Be a buddy. I once read a book on breakups that suggested recruiting a "breakup buddy," a friend who could be called on night and day in those difficult first days. Offer to be a support buddy to your friend, someone who she or he can call any time.
  12. Be aware of your triggers. A crisis is an emotional and stressful time for everyone, making it more likely that people will push each other's buttons. If you feel irritated, take a breath and try not to react. Don't add fuel to the fire.
  13. Get professional help on board. If your friend is suicidal or highly irrational, don't hesitate to suggest professional help. Every community has a suicide hotline, and 911 is always available.
  14. Rally support. If you know other people who might like to support your friend, contact them to let them know what happened.
  15. "You will get through this." A person in crisis may not be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel when the event first happens. Hold your friend's hand, look her in the eye, and say, "You will get through this," or, "This too shall pass." She may not believe you at the time, but it will be helpful to hear.
  16. Be patient. Your friend may need to tell the story many times or may still be emotional weeks after you would have begun to move on. Respect that everyone's process is unique. However, if, after giving it plenty of time, you think your friend is stuck in the trauma, you might gently ask, "How do you see yourself getting through this?"
  17. Encourage basic functioning. In the first few days of a crisis, even the most minimal functioning may seem impossible. Be very gentle in encouraging your friend to take a shower, get dressed, eat regular meals, and take a short walk. If you know of self-care activities your friend enjoys, such as yoga or working out, suggest these as well, being careful not to sound pushy.
  18. Know that nighttime is often the hardest time for people in crisis. Call in the evening to check in. Communicate empathy regarding how difficult a time it is.
  19. Don't support drinking too much or other reckless behavior. Some people may want a few drinks, or more, when going through a difficult time. You can be the voice of wisdom by suggesting moderation.
  20. Take care of yourself. People can easily become depleted while supporting someone through a crisis. Pay some attention to your own needs so you can be replenished. Take breaks, breathe, and get support for yourself.
  21. Check in over time. Often, at the beginning of a crisis, many people are available to help and support. Over time, people tend to forget and return to the rhythm of their lives. Keep your friend in the forefront of your mind, and check in in the weeks or months ahead.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
This was sent me by an enlightened friend. I thought it was wonderful.

If I may add four more points.

22. Don't say, "If you think you have problems, you should hear mine." All this statement communicates to a person in pain is "your pain is not as important as my pain."

23. Don't say, "It is God's will." That may be true. But the person in pain still has to find the strength to pick himself up, dust himself off, and start all over again. Help that person find the source of strength to begin anew.

24. Don't say something like, "Behind every cloud there is a silver lining." or, "Look at the bright side." Because if your friend could see that your friend would not be feeling so bad.

25. Don't turn the conversation in to a "let's share our pain" session, where your friend gets to talk, and then you share your problem next. Sometimes people need to be heard completely. If you are a friend, your problems can wait. Your turn will come and you will want to be heard completely.

Just my two cents.

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
I thought I will add # 22 but I am late.
So here is # 26......
26. Make sure he/she is your real friend! I have noticed many oppotunistic people posing as friend. If you are no longer useful, you are let go. I am not discussing reasons, ifs and buts. Just wanted to be cautious and observe and test. Like... do a mock test. This mock test can be done on family members too. Again, I am not being negative but practical before you get emotional shocks.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM