• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Canada 100th Birthday Of Sikh Temple To Be Celebrated

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
As proclaimed earlier in the year by the City of Abbotsford and Mayor George Peary as the Centenary Year of the National Historic Site Gur Sikh Temple, built in 1911.

Celebrations have been taking place throughout the year and final preparations are currently underway for big weekend, next month.

On Friday, Aug. 26 from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. there will be a start to a three-day weekend prayer service at the Heritage Gurdwara.

Saturday, Aug. 27 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., a host of cultural events will take place: Punjabi language competitions, sports competitions, and other events.

On the final day Sunday, Aug. 28 there will be a Nagar Kirtan Procession from the Heritage Gurdwara to Rotary Stadium and returning back to the site, where the unveiling of the Centennial Monument and the Sikh Heritage Museum will take place.

Med Manzanal, diversity coordinator from the City of Abbotsford said: " The whole Abbotsford community should be proud and feel celebratory about the 100th centenary of the Sikh Gurdwara. This is a tribute not just about our Sikh pioneers but a tribute to some great men and women who have opened doors of opportunities for the Sikh pioneers to settle, integrate, and flourish."

Deesh Sekhon, who is planning on attending the celebrations with her twoyear-old son Sean shared her comments.

"To have one of the oldest and longest standing buildings in North America is something all British Columbians can be proud of," Sekhon said.

"The rich history of the Gurdwara reflects how communities have worked together; accepting each other's diversity and celebrating it.

"The celebrations are for every member of our community to be a part of. I plan to come out to help celebrate this huge achievement.

"I think communities are only successful as its individuals; I encourage all members of our community to come out to one of the celebrations and learn about our heritage."

Ken Herar is a freelance columnist with the Times. Contact him at Kenherar@ gmail.com.

Read more: http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/life...e+celebrated/5191511/story.html#ixzz1Tuhy8mBU

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM